Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2015, 09:21 AM

Re: Losing gardening skills

Do you need any skills. All that is needed is what you want to plant and some earth. Then just shove it in the soil and wait.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2015, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Myth and Magic ->
Thank you Meg. Perhaps in winter I will stuff my woolly 'at with herbs and the heat from my 'ead will make me smell all nice
One you may like to try is Mahonia x media, 'Underway' It flowers for a long time and has a delicate fragrance

Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2015, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Cass ->
I have a lovely garden and would love to grow my own veg ..However due to neighbourhood cats (a multitude) who use local gardens as toilets my garden is gravel with a few plants.
I know this doesnt explain everything but maybe a lot of people who would grow things are put off by it.
Cass I agree with you we tried to grow veggies here showed Grace how to plant the seeds watched fascinated as they became plants, got slightly worried as they became a cats toilet and when they fruited and grew big enough to eat none of us could put them in our mouths for the disgusting mess they had been growing in. Lettuce with poo on it - no amount of washing it made it tempting.

We used to have an allotment but don't have time or strength for it these days, also the queues for one means Grace may be grown up before we got lucky and got one.

Her new school has a gardening club sadly end of last term vandals ruined it, they are replanting next season but it doesn't give much hope if cats and people can't allow kids to grow and learn about food.
JonV6
New Member!
Devon
JonV6 is male 

21-10-2015, 05:04 PM

I think first hand knowledge of garden is dying out, the tendency of youth today to rely on having knowledge and information available at their finger tips on the Internet instead of cultivating practical knowledge and understanding.

They don't spend as much time in the garden as we used to.
Advantage Out
Öresund, Sweden
Advantage Out is male  Advantage Out has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2015, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by JonV6 ->
I think first hand knowledge of garden is dying out, the tendency of youth today to rely on having knowledge and information available at their finger tips on the Internet instead of cultivating practical knowledge and understanding.

They don't spend as much time in the garden as we used to.
And with the temps nearing zero there isn't much gardening to do anyway.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2015, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Advantage Out ->
And with the temps nearing zero there isn't much gardening to do anyway.

What about the Greenhouse, Lots to do in there

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=613
Advantage Out
Öresund, Sweden
Advantage Out is male  Advantage Out has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2015, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by solo ->
What about the Greenhouse, Lots to do in there

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=613
Alas! If only I had one.
Indigo
UK
Indigo is female  Indigo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2015, 09:16 PM

I think it's a shame that all new houses are being built virtually without gardens - just a handkerchief size bit of lawn, if that. The next generation after us seems to have little interest in gardening. It took me years and years to build up my knowledge and experience in growing veg and then flowers. Having said that about the next generation - in fact my elder brother is as bad. I took him and his wife a bunch of tulips and he said "Oh nice - what are those?" Unbelievable.
Advantage Out
Öresund, Sweden

22-10-2015, 05:32 AM

Perhaps we need to make more room now ........... ?
oxymoron47
Australia
oxymoron47 is male  oxymoron47 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2015, 05:45 AM

I recently had a post deleted from another, soon to be defunct, forum for starting a topic on Hoes. I swear it was about gardening or tilling or fertilising. It was a while ago, so I forget

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top