Join for free
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2012, 08:33 PM

Apprenticeships

Panorama is just starting on BBC1. This week it is about apprenticeships. May make an intersting topic for discussion if folks are interested.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2012, 11:17 PM

Re: Apprenticeships

I watched it and would say for 'apprenticeships' substitute 'misuse of public funds'.
It seems Morrisons have done very well out of the scheme

One in 10 apprenticeships created in England last year was at Morrisons supermarkets, the BBC's Panorama programme has learned.

But most of the 52,000 apprentices at the supermarket giant were existing employees who were over 25

The company said it was fulfilling a commitment to offer more of its employees a formal qualification.

Critics say the money being poured into private training schemes should be creating new jobs and improving skills.

The Business, Innovation and Skills Select Committee has questioned the money being paid to Elmfield Training, the private company that has a £37m government contract to train apprentices and which runs Morrisons' apprenticeship scheme.

Ged Syddall, CEO of Elmfield, was questioned by MPs about the £12m profit reported by his company in 2010 - all of it from government funding. Mr Syddall personally took home nearly £3m in dividend.

This is despite Ofsted inspectors giving the firm only a "satisfactory" rating while the majority of colleges that provide training have been rated as "good" or "outstanding" by Ofsted.

Almost 40% of the food retailer's workforce are enrolled in the apprenticeship scheme, which takes an average of six months to complete.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17564255
This is interesting...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-16616570
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2012, 07:28 AM

These are not apprenticeships, they are training courses, Apprenticeships take 6 years for someone to fully learn a trade
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2012, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Antibrown ->
These are not apprenticeships, they are training courses, Apprenticeships take 6 years for someone to fully learn a trade
AB I would say some of them are neither as they don't contain any training.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2012, 12:59 AM

In today's society, my heart goes out to young people who genuinely do want an apprenticeship to learn a trade.

At least once a week we get a phone call from a hopeful and all I can tell them is to send in a CV and, when the time comes for interviews, they'll be contacted.

I've been working for the same electrical contractor for almost 29 years now, and I've seen them come and go. I've seen those who have the wrong attitude, those that are genuine, but most importantly, those who really want a trade as an electrician.

Some are already in College but, when asked if they're on a JIB Electricians' Course and they say no, we can't accept them, and that's not their fault as that's where school careers officers suggest they go on an "electricians' course" which is not good enough for our company but, if they're willing to change, then we know that they're prepared to change.

We've had lads that have been brilliant and have gone on to become lecturers and onto furthering their careers; we have had those who made it through interview to being employed and been a great disappointment.

As AB has said, it could take up to six years to become fully trained, and some don't make the grade, and the employer is funding the apprenticeships.

It's a hard call for employers as well, having paid a lot of money for the apprentices, only for some of them to move on once qualified. However, having said that, over the years, we've had electricians that have stayed with our company for 40+ years, which is a testimony in itself.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top