Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2018, 10:10 AM

Re: Garden chemicals

Originally Posted by Meg ->
My lawn is full of weeds, I dig the plantain and dandelions up on my hands and knees.
I don't like using any chemicals in my garden when I eat some of it. The lawn trimmings go in the compost bin and most of that goes under the runner beans.

I share a front lawn with my neighbour and it usually falls to me to mow both sides. Every year she puts 'weed and feed' on hers and tries to persuade me to have mine done too. I did one year and it turned black I won't be doing that again.
A couple of neighbours have had a firm in to weed and feed their lawns,proper stinks whatever they use,not sure why though,once its fed you have to cut it more often,plus we don't live at Wimbledon.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2018, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
My lawn is full of weeds, I dig the plantain and dandelions up on my hands and knees.
I don't like using any chemicals in my garden when I eat some of it. The lawn trimmings go in the compost bin and most of that goes under the runner beans.

I share a front lawn with my neighbour and it usually falls to me to mow both sides. Every year she puts 'weed and feed' on hers and tries to persuade me to have mine done too. I did one year and it turned black I won't be doing that again.
I have heard that so many times Meg, especially with that Evergreen stuff.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2018, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
'Tis true though Dongles, about us being 'top of the food chain' isn't it.
We are probably all eating supposedly ' healthy' vegetables and fruit that have been treated with pesticides to kill insects, rodents, mould and disease, and grown on fields covered in artificial fertilizers .

A lot of our meat is reared indoors, never feel sunshine, eat fresh natural food, and are treated with veterinary chemicals.
More fish is being raised on intensive fish farms.

Even a lot of 'home grown' veg is often contaminated with sprays to kill Blackfly/Greenfly/Whitefly/Caterpillers plus many other specific diseases.

Then to top it all, many spray their roses, feed & weed their lawn . . . and then we go into a nice clean shower and use our chemical shampoos/Conditioners/Body moisturizers/deodorants ...... and the ladies start putting on the slap, and spraying themself with perfumes!

And don't even think about household cleaning products!
It's the accumulative build up of all these chemicals that we inhale, ingest, and have around us that bothers me.

And we are at the "end of the chain" with them all, just like the poor birds of prey were.
I think gradually, our ways of thinking are being changed. I know I tend to consider the environment more than I used to. It is difficult though sometimes. We spend all this money on plants only to see them eaten by insects. We want to stop the insects but not kill other insects. It's all a bit confusing. Did you ever get to try the nematodes Mups?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2018, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I think gradually, our ways of thinking are being changed. I know I tend to consider the environment more than I used to. It is difficult though sometimes. We spend all this money on plants only to see them eaten by insects. We want to stop the insects but not kill other insects. It's all a bit confusing. Did you ever get to try the nematodes Mups?

I know what you mean about being confusing sometimes dongles, and like you say, we don't want to lose plants.

I haven't got the nematodes yet, I wanted to learn a bit more about them first, but it will be too late if I don't get my finger out.
I've got so much to do, that's the trouble, and my Mini-Mups has got to go in for her X-rays Tuesday, so that's on my mind too.
I will let you know if I use them.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

27-05-2018, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I know what you mean about being confusing sometimes dongles, and like you say, we don't want to lose plants.

I haven't got the nematodes yet, I wanted to learn a bit more about them first, but it will be too late if I don't get my finger out.
I've got so much to do, that's the trouble, and my Mini-Mups has got to go in for her X-rays Tuesday, so that's on my mind too.
I will let you know if I use them.
Ok Mups.

Good luck for Mini Mups on Tuesday.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2018, 11:37 PM

Having Hens, ducks and a cat, plus growing our own veg, and a septic tank, we don't use chemicals

The most we use is a tiny bit of bleach once a week in the loos, too much upsets the balance in the tank

Our lawns are pure moss. So much that the lawn mower gets stuck every two steps but with, it looks green

Every couple of years we hire a scarifier and reseed but we are fighting a losing battle

Our veg plot is purely organic , horse poo and nettle feed. Means we have to net as well as pick off the caterpillars ( hens love them) and we may lose a complete crop, but better then then poisoning birds and furries, or even ourselves

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top