Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2018, 09:41 PM

Re: Rich or Poor

Originally Posted by Mags ->
We also had an outside toilet..... brrrr it was cold in winter!
Good God, you had a toilet?

We were so poor that we had to dig a hole in our very small back garden every time we needed to go.

Trouble was, we were so poor that we had to grow our own food in that garden too.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2018, 09:48 PM

Poor there was only my mum and my sister and me we rented rooms in houses, Mum was always short of money we ran up rent arrears then did moonlight flits, I didn't think anything of it .. it was normal for me.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2018, 10:35 PM

I grew up in a two up, one down, bloody architects.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2018, 10:44 PM

I think that the working classes in the 60's and 70's in England were piss poor, but as we were all poor it never made anyone feel that way

Second hand and hand me downs were fact of life for everyone I knew, except one family in out road who had their own business so were considered well to do
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2018, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Missy ->
I think that the working classes in the 60's and 70's in England were piss poor, but as we were all poor it never made anyone feel that way.
You're absolutely right, Missy.

In our neighbourhood, there was a doctor and a chemist; the only two people who you could call professionals.

The rest of us were all of the same level as working class people, and no-one ever thought of themselves as anything special.

I do remember that the owner of a shop on the next corner to us was an officer, a Flight Lieutenant, in the war. I think he might have considered himself a cut above the rest of us, although employed in the same way as my dad who was also a shopkeeper.
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2018, 02:25 AM

I think life was simple and we didn't need a lot of money for toys because we had games that didn't cost an arm and a leg.....a lot of outside games.

Now, if you want to buy a grandchild a gift, you better be prepared to spend "hundreds"....
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2018, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by mart ->
I suppose we were financially poor but life for children was somehow richer. I think a lot of parents struggled just after the war years.
Yep very poor financially but rich in love,I'm one of eight, dad worked all hours killed him in the end,hand me down clothes etc,how a generation as moved on,mortgage paid,one daughter through uni,the other choose to go straight out to work instead. Financially comfortable I suppose.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top