Join for free
Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2017, 02:30 PM

Re: Grandma's Remedies

1. Food burned on baking trays:

Leave the tray upide down on the lawn overnight.
By the morning the dew will have softened any hardened matter stuck to the tray and it will come away easily.

2. Dusting.
Dusting can be made easier if you prepare the duster by washing it and adding a few drops of glycerine to the last change of rinse water. Dist will then be attracted to the treated cloth.

3. Constipation.
Relieve constipation by eating dandelion leaves every day.
(Perhaps that's why bunnies are always pooing).
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2017, 10:30 PM

Honey on burns - takes away the pain, kills bacteria, anti-septic etc and covers the wound from infection

Cabbage for stomach/peptic ulcers. Make soups with it.

Goldenseal drops in water/saline solution to make eye drops for eye infections. No need for chloramphenicol or other nasty antibiotics.

Lemon and ginger puree with hot water for colds/flus. Blitz entire lemons (peel, pith, juice, remove seeds) with plenty of fresh root ginger. Add a little honey to taste.

Vinegar(acid) to neutralise wasp stings which are alkali,

Bicarbonate of soda(alkali) for bee stings which are acidic.

Grapefruit Seed Extract (GSE) drops for all manner of complaints. Taken orally (diluted always with water or juice) kills tummy bugs in minutes, kills Norovirus and other gastrointestinal complaints like ulcers. Boosts immune system, fights cold/flu viruses, stops sore throats if taken early (otherwise the acidity will irritate)
Externally (again diluted) can be applied to eczema and other skin conditions. For in-grown toenails soak foot in warm water with GSE drops in it to kill infection and bacteria.
Never to be used in the eyes
Not to be used by anyone who can not/must not eat grapefruits such as people on statins.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2018, 01:02 PM

Some very good ones.

Home Remedies for Warts - Using onions

•First step is to cover the wart with a plaster and leave it on overnight to soften it up.
•Cut a raw peeled onion in half and dip into salt.
•Rub this into the wart three times a day.
•Onions are natural anti-inflammatories and antihistamines.

N.B. Must be sure it's a wart and not a mole.

https://www.home-remedies-haven.com/...for-warts.html
Franbern
London
Franbern is female  Franbern has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2018, 03:15 PM

My Dad tied off the small warts on my hand, and in about a week the fell off. quite painless.
Remember the yellow stuff he used to paint on chilblains - sure someone here will know the name
If I had a nasty troubling cough at night, he would make me up some warm milk (which I detested), add a small lump of butter and then spoon feed me with this. I loved the TLC - and of course it did work - the fat in the milk and butter would have soothed the throat so much
His cure for a long-term bad cough was one I hated - although, again did work. He would cut up an onion and put in a dish with brown sugar and leave for about 24 hours. Then the sufferer had to drink the resultant liquid. The smell of it often cured me straight away.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2018, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Realist
Lemon and ginger puree with hot water for colds/flus. Blitz entire lemons (peel, pith, juice, remove seeds) with plenty of fresh root ginger. Add a little honey to taste.
Yesterday I purchased a jar of raw organic honey, a bag of lemons and a chunk of root ginger...watch this space
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2018, 03:51 PM

I can remember my dad removing a loose tooth by tying string around it and attaching it to the door handle. He would then wait for the right moment, then kick the door.

Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2018, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Franbern ->
My Dad tied off the small warts on my hand, and in about a week the fell off. quite painless.
Remember the yellow stuff he used to paint on chilblains - sure someone here will know the name **
If I had a nasty troubling cough at night, he would make me up some warm milk (which I detested), add a small lump of butter and then spoon feed me with this. I loved the TLC - and of course it did work - the fat in the milk and butter would have soothed the throat so much
His cure for a long-term bad cough was one I hated - although, again did work. He would cut up an onion and put in a dish with brown sugar and leave for about 24 hours. Then the sufferer had to drink the resultant liquid. The smell of it often cured me straight away.

** Iodine!!!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2018, 04:40 PM

I found a super granny homemade cough syrup recipe online the other day. One part olive oil, 1.5 parts honey and one to five lemons depending on how much you want to make. You warm it up on the stove and then pour into a glass jar. The recipe said one cup of oil but that's quite a lot of syrup! It's the olive oil that works as it also has an anti inflammatory, healing effect.

I have also used Franbern's milk and butter remedy in the past but have always added some honey. It's really soothing.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2018, 05:48 PM

I do remember my nan telling me that when she was a girl, her father made her and her sisters soak their feet in their own urine to prevent chilblains.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2018, 05:57 PM

Whenever my Dad had a cold he would eat a bowl of hot boiled onions every night before going to bed. He said they helped him sweat the cold out.

Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top