Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2017, 09:45 AM

Re: New gym member

Originally Posted by susan m ->
today i'm joining , by paying upfront it means i've got to make the effort . I will be given a plan and weighed by the trainer and won't be allowed to take on anything heavy or too much , anyway i won't do what's not good for me . It's fascinating watching others using these huge weights . I watched a young girl running like mad on the treadmill wet with sweat , it looked like torture but she smiled at me and seemed to be enjoying it , then she moved onto those other alien machines . Made me think " thank god i'm old " !

Thanks for the encouragement everyone , i'm fed up with feeling overweight and unfit so i hope to feel better about myself soon , even if it means my jeans arnt as tight .
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2017, 11:23 AM

Good move Susan, first step is always the hardest, and at least you have folks on hand to ease you into things.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2017, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
Today I'm joining , by paying upfront it means I've got to make the effort . I will be given a plan and weighed by the trainer and won't be allowed to take on anything heavy or too much , anyway I won't do what's not good for me . It's fascinating watching others using these huge weights . I watched a young girl running like mad on the treadmill wet with sweat , it looked like torture but she smiled at me and seemed to be enjoying it , then she moved onto those other alien machines . Made me think " Thank God I'm old " !

Thanks for the encouragement everyone , I'm fed up with feeling overweight and unfit so I hope to feel better about myself soon , even if it means my jeans arnt as tight .
Wonderful stuff, Susan, all credit to you for making that first step. Please keep us informed on how you are getting on
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2017, 09:45 AM

I never find gyms boring because I have my music blasting in my ears through earbuds that, conveniently, cut out all external noise. For a change, I'll plug the earbuds into the exercise bike (treadmill, etc) and watch TV on the screen in front of me. I am surprised how fast 10 to 15 minutes pass by when listening to your favourite music or watching the news.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2017, 11:06 AM

I'm going twice a week , blimey treading that treadmill has been hot even though I've got a fan blasting at me from above . By the time 45 mins has gone by I'm flagging though .
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2017, 11:57 AM

I went to the gym but I couldn't find a single exercise machine that had a place to rest my beer can on.
No seriously I did use a gym once when I was trying to lose weight as I found that just dieting wasn't losing fast enough.
As soon as I started at the gym using the treadmill the weight started coming off.
I used to put my iPod on and start walking and gradually built up my speed. I never got as far as running on the treadmill like the others did but I didn't care as I know my limitations with my chest problems.
Last year I went on a COPD rehab course which was exercises the first part and a talk in the second half about matters relating to COPD, and we were supposed to carry on with the exercises when the course finished. I went to the leisure centre near me and had a look around but it seemed during the day to be used by over developed muscle, shaved head, thuggy looking yobs and some of the men were like that too.
At the moment my chest is a bit iffey but as soon as its clear I'm going to start walking round the lovely park which is virtually next door to me and once I'm used to the outside world again I'm going to go back to the nice gym I used to go to where I went before.
David Schutz
New Member!
Santa Cruz, CA
David Schutz is male 

30-06-2017, 10:57 PM

Good for you! You should be proud of yourself!

Personally, I exercise 4+ days per week, mostly because I want to age gracefully. Also, I've read that exercise keeps your brain working.

The research proves the importance of both aerobic fitness and resistance training. Aerobic and resistance training provide complimentary, not overlapping benefits: resistance training improves higher-level brain functioning such as effective multi-tasking, learning ability, decision-making, attention span and conflict resolution, while aerobic exercise improves memory and is directly linked to neurogenesis, or new brain cell production.

It's important to me because I'm watching my 93-year-old dad lose his short term memory. He can remember WWll in detail, but doesn't know what day of the week it is anymore - and he doesn't recognize my kids.

The bottom line is that exercise diversity is best. To promote comprehensive physical ability, functional fitness, not muscle building, should be the focus. Incorporating HIIT is a fantastic way to assist with weight management.

Finally, I think it's important to pay attention to your food, with a diet comprised of fresh whole foods, mostly vegetables and fruits. You can't out exercise a bad diet. Straighten out your nutrition, and weight drops off surprisingly quickly.

Sleep well, do what you can to alleviate stress, drink plenty of water, and spend as much time as you can outdoors.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2017, 08:25 AM

I'm still at it twice a week for 45 mins each time . I've lost 3lb so far and do feel better . If I've over indulged on red wine or silly nice bits i make myself walk faster or more uphill .

Yes , I'm enjoying it , and the muscles on the men is good eye candy and some of the young girls have beautiful bodies , not an ounce of fat . I do admire them .
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2017, 09:00 AM

I had a nice, comforting moment yesterday when I realised that two young men (maybe 16 to 18) training near me were lifting less weights that I was! I think they looked a trifle disconcerted when they noticed.

Day off training today but back tomorrow! No peace for the wicked.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2017, 09:33 AM

Well done Susan, I keep threatening myself to join one but have to admit it's just mustering the confidence, my weight isn't too bad but I could do with getting fitter. Keep us posted on how you do

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top