Join for free
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 > Last »
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2018, 09:57 PM

Brexit is like ‘swapping three-course meal for packet of crisps’

Brexit headline of the day and perfectly sums up the way I feel. It's only coming from the former head of the International trade dept. Still what does HE know eh?

It's just amazing how perfectly the following quote sums up how I feel about it. If you look at it without emotion and totally objectively from a finance and economics point of view this is the reality underpinning the changes we face. It really makes me sad that people don't see it the way I do.

But maybe someone can explain from a finance and economic point of view how we will end up more prosperous and be able to maintain our infrastructure and wealth after this change. I'd like to see some robust forecasts of how growth will be achieved to make us all more wealthy.

"You’re giving up a three-course meal, which is the depth and intensity of our trade relationships across the European Union and partners now, for the promise of a packet of crisps in the future if we manage to do trade deals outside the European Union which aren’t going to compensate for what we’re giving up."

http://metro.co.uk/2018/02/27/brexit...risps-7345705/
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2018, 10:03 PM

Re: Brexit is like ‘swapping three-course meal for packet of crisps’

And on same day the opposite opinion has been out there too. Tbh no one knows what will happen in ten days let alone ten years so we take a chance either way.

Only about 8 percent of our businesses sell into Eu I heard today and the other 92 percent don't seem as worried about it all.

One thing I'm most excited about is hearing we can go our own way worth animal cruelty so will be able tp ban fur, until now any hope of that within Europe, has been shouted down by Denmark and other fur producers.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2018, 10:12 PM

I don't know anyone who still wears fur from mink and seal etc. I mean it's so uncool. But I would really love to see some economic facts and if the opposite opinion was BJ then I could start to use rude words!

NB I think our country is too important to take chances and look to lady luck for a solution. I'm highly cautious about wasting money. I see too much of it going on and all I see is wasted opportunities when something shows financial inefficiency and no plan.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2018, 10:16 PM

You must be in a very different place to me fur is making a big come back and those ostrich skin bags, and goose skin coats are everywhere. Saw two today ! I'm not a paint thrower but it was tempting to say something.
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2018, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Brexit headline of the day and perfectly sums up the way I feel. It's only coming from the former head of the International trade dept. Still what does HE know eh?

It's just amazing how perfectly the following quote sums up how I feel about it. If you look at it without emotion and totally objectively from a finance and economics point of view this is the reality underpinning the changes we face. It really makes me sad that people don't see it the way I do.

But maybe someone can explain from a finance and economic point of view how we will end up more prosperous and be able to maintain our infrastructure and wealth after this change. I'd like to see some robust forecasts of how growth will be achieved to make us all more wealthy.

"You’re giving up a three-course meal, which is the depth and intensity of our trade relationships across the European Union and partners now, for the promise of a packet of crisps in the future if we manage to do trade deals outside the European Union which aren’t going to compensate for what we’re giving up."

http://metro.co.uk/2018/02/27/brexit...risps-7345705/

It's a puerile analogy by a committed Europhile whose career and bank balance has profited enormously from the EU gravy train.

He does not have a crystal ball and so can no more know the future than You, I or anyone else.

We get it.......He's happy with the way things are. He's one person. One very wealthy, very priveliged and well connect member of the metropolitan elite....The 'We Know Best ' class.
17.5 million+ people AREN'T happy with the way things are.......

What about THEM, Annie ?

Many of THEM weren't prospering under the previous EU ran regime so where were you then, Annie?

Many of THEM haven't ended up more wealthy, more secure more prosperous or with more prospects, Annie.........So I ask again, What about THEM, What about te 17.5 million, what about those that were ignored, bypassed and vilified by the metro elite and their cronies

Why do you care so much about 1 person when the masses have spoken?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

27-02-2018, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
You must be in a very different place to me fur is making a big come back and those ostrich skin bags, and goose skin coats are everywhere. Saw two today ! I'm not a paint thrower but it was tempting to say something.
You know I had no idea that was ostrich skin, I had to google. Yes you do see them & it's a fashion now. But it says some are faux. Not something I'd buy - how can you tell what's real and what's not?

I'm no longer veggie for health reasons, but I draw the line at goose and I won't eat duck unless I really have to (if there's nothing else on a menu and I'm starving or don't want to make a fuss). I have a PETA newsfeed and I've recently realised how cruel the feather trade is. It's horrible. We have synthetic quilts and pillows but I still have some old ones from before I knew about them plucking live animals.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

27-02-2018, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by Moscow ->
It's a puerile analogy by a committed Europhile whose career and bank balance has profited enormously from the EU gravy train.

He does not have a crystal ball and so can no more know the future than You, I or anyone else.

We get it.......He's happy with the way things are. He's one person.
17.5 million+ people AREN'T happy with the way things are.......

What about THEM, Annie ?
Some people will never be happy and they will no doubt blame remain voters if the economy is burnt to a crisp. But why would you gamble the perfectly good wealth of this country if you don't know what that will lead to?

My view is that unless you have some good intelligence on a favourable outcome then the "do nothing" option is often a good one.
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2018, 10:43 PM

Some people will never be happy and they will no doubt blame remain voters if the economy is burnt to a crisp. But why would you gamble the perfectly good wealth of this country if you don't know what that will lead to?

My view is that unless you have some good intelligence on a favourable outcome then the "do nothing" option is often a good one.
The perfectly good wealth that is concentrated in hands of the priviliged few and a couple of million cronies, the chattering elite , whilst tens of millions struggle and miss on our bounty.
Moscow
Scotland

27-02-2018, 10:47 PM

You've never had to struggle Annie, have you?

I mean hand to mouth real struggle. It makes a person see life in a different light and see who is really looking out for them.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

27-02-2018, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Moscow ->
You've never had to struggle Annie, have you?

I mean hand to mouth real struggle. It makes a person see life in a different light and see who is really looking out for them.
It's funny that you think that. I've had to struggle most of my life seeing those around me have an easier life because of a cushy start. I'm not going into my deprived childhood or early adulthood but I'm not from a wealthy family or privileged background. I've had to work hard all my life. What difference should it make to the facts?

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top