Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
callistra
london uk
callistra is female  callistra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2018, 09:53 PM

Re: Copd

Never having smoked at all and having been a long distance runner in my youth, my diagnosis of Bronchiectasis with pulmonary fibrosis was a bit of a shock. I had lung surgery 25 years ago due to recurring spontaneous pneumothorax (collapsed lung). Last year the other lung collapsed. So all in all, I feel a little betrayed by my lungs. I do the breathing exercises every morning and try to do as much as I can. I must admit I have become very cautious and afraid of catching colds and viruses.
I know there are various devices and medications that can make a difference for many people and they manage perfectly well.
Some find a ‘lung friendly’ diet helps, avoiding dairy, carbonated drinks, fried foods and having more fruit, vegetables, water and omega 3 oily fish.

Also some researchers believe there may be a connection between acid reflux, GERD and various lung conditions. Which is interesting because I have bad GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease) which began a year before any lung symptoms appeared.

The Respiratory community nurse team can be helpful too and offer practical advice and support.
Research is advancing all the time, so here’s hoping they develop more treatments and options.
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2018, 11:11 PM

I was diagnosed with COPD and asthma. I have been pretty bad at times and had to use a nebuliser. I use a Symbicort preventative inhaler and a Elkira long lasting relief inhaler plus the Ventolin inhalor. In fact I was using so much of the Ventolin I was having to buy extra ones off the internet without my doctor knowing.

The weird thing is since my heart attacks last month my chest seems to be nowhere near as bad and I'm hardly using my Ventolin at all.
Mind you, I wouldn't recommend heart attacks as a cure for COPD
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2018, 11:51 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if I develop this in old age. I used to smoke when in my twenties and quite heavily at one very stressful point. Giving up doesn't matter apparently. Although I guess it gets much worse if you carry on. I also have GERD Callistra. But under control. It all seems to be about connective tissue and membranes. Seems genetic. SiL's mother has COPD. OH's mother pretty much died from it. Watching someone dying of COPD really begs a case for euthanasia.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2018, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by Mondays child ->
I was diagnosed with COPD and asthma. I have been pretty bad at times and had to use a nebuliser. I use a Symbicort preventative inhaler and a Elkira long lasting relief inhaler plus the Ventolin inhalor. In fact I was using so much of the Ventolin I was having to buy extra ones off the internet without my doctor knowing.

The weird thing is since my heart attacks last month my chest seems to be nowhere near as bad and I'm hardly using my Ventolin at all.
Mind you, I wouldn't recommend heart attacks as a cure for COPD
Perhaps you are on better meds now? The airways and heart are so connected and you may not have been having the right treatment before your crisis.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2018, 06:12 PM

As an ex-smoker I dread all of the above in the future; but I've got more immediate health issues.

Why does stopping smoking sometimes years ago not stop these illnesses from happening? I see plenty of women (some must be 80) puffing away outside our bingo hall when I'm in that part of town. They all have very deeply wrinkled faces which I know is down to the smoking.
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2018, 06:29 PM

I am just about to be diagnosed with COPD, appointment at the clinic on May 1st.
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2018, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by caricature ->
Its not all down to smoking,I gave up 35+ years ago,its likely mine is related to the working environment.I am going for a full lung test early in April to see what damage as been done.
I've been diagnosed with occupational asthma after all the test,I have now a peak flow meter to test at rest at home and then during working hours, a week with out any steroids then a course of 14 days of steroids with the same flow meter test's to see if it helps.It'll be an interesting conversation with occupational health at work I suspect.
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2018, 09:50 PM

I've been diagnosed with occupational asthma after all the test,I have now a peak flow meter to test at rest at home and then during working hours, a week with out any steroids then a course of 14 days of steroids with the same flow meter test's to see if it helps.It'll be an interesting conversation with occupational health at work I suspect.
The Steroids don't half help,I was waking up in the night with a cough,haven't done that since being on them,one more week then a week with out them,we'll see if the cough comes back,no shortage of breath either,actually feel fit for the first time in months.
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2018, 09:20 PM

I have been told by one medical team that I have ASTHMA, then another team say I have COPD,a nurse said ASTHMA /COPD /BRONCHITIS all come under one umbrella,COPD, so who do you believe ?
[,When my friend lived in this area she was told /treated for COPD, but when she moved to a new area & DR she was told she doesnt have COPD]
caricature
Devon,England.

18-05-2018, 09:46 AM

The Steroids don't half help,I was waking up in the night with a cough,haven't done that since being on them,one more week then a week with out them,we'll see if the cough comes back,no shortage of breath either,actually feel fit for the first time in months.
So a follow up to this I've now been prescribed an preventative inhaler,taken twice a day.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top