Join for free
Page 11 of 12 « First < 9 10 11 12 >
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2018, 11:34 AM

Re: Not going well for Trade deals.

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I've been employed by the NHS, education authorities and the Civil Service.
My point proven, you cannot predict who voted what by pigeonholing. There was total polarisation throughout societal stereotypes.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2018, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Not sure about local authorities, but just after the vote my remain-voting, rather left wing hairdresser was vociferously complaining that many NHS-employed customers were religiously pro-Brexit. So there you go. I know a few teachers who were pro-remain, but know one lecturer who is fervently pro-Brexit. It's a very personal thing.
There you have it.

Many NHS-employed customers and at least one lecturer are very sensible people!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2018, 02:15 PM

Hi

The EU have now concluded a Deal with Mexico.

98% of Trade Barriers gone.

Another one we will lose and have to try and renegotiate.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2018, 03:53 AM

Our PM is in Berlin at the moment trying to push along the current free trade talks with the EU.

The problem is that after minerals one of our main exports is agricultural products which scares the shit out of France and Italy (not to mention the recent fracas with the latter over tomatoes). Negotiations have been going on for 10 years so far and there is no early end in sight.

http://dfat.gov.au/about-us/publicat...agreement.aspx

Australia is quite keen to get a trade agreement with the UK to start in 2021 which is the earliest you are allowed to have a trade agreement of your own and DFAT is actively encouraging the UK to join the TPP.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2018, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Our PM is in Berlin at the moment trying to push along the current free trade talks with the EU.

The problem is that after minerals one of our main exports is agricultural products which scares the shit out of France and Italy (not to mention the recent fracas with the latter over tomatoes). Negotiations have been going on for 10 years so far and there is no early end in sight.

http://dfat.gov.au/about-us/publicat...agreement.aspx

Australia is quite keen to get a trade agreement with the UK to start in 2021 which is the earliest you are allowed to have a trade agreement of your own and DFAT is actively encouraging the UK to join the TPP.
Careful, you'll upset our remainiac friends. They'e convinced that the sky will fall down!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2018, 07:47 AM

Careful, you'll upset our remainiac friends. They'e convinced that the sky will fall down!
The problem is that they will be relatively small deals; what you need is a deal with your main trading partners (US and EU?) and there is not one on the horizon.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2018, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Regardless of with whom we have trade deals, no one is making anyone buy goods, we have a choice as we do now.

I choose not to buy salads currently on sale and grown in Egypt and Senegal, I will wait for the home produced salad to become available and eat what is local and seasonal instead.
Hear Hear Meg, me neither. I refuse to eat any Salad other than locally grown and seasonal. I'm also the first to complain if local or seasonal is not on the supermarket shelves when they should be!.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

30-04-2018, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
The problem is that they will be relatively small deals; what you need is a deal with your main trading partners (US and EU?) and there is not one on the horizon.
We don't need a trade deal with the EU.

If they offer goods at the right price (regardless of taxes or tariffs) we will buy. If not, we will buy from other sources that are more competitive.

The converse also applies. If the EU wants our products and services, it will buy them. I have a feeling that they will.

We should stop worrying about trade deals and, if they come with all sorts of concessions and penalties, reject them out of hand.

The EU 'negotiators' are like little children: push, push, push, just to see how far they can go.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2018, 08:29 PM

We don't need a trade deal with the EU.

If they offer goods at the right price (regardless of taxes or tariffs) we will buy. If not, we will buy from other sources that are more competitive.

The converse also applies. If the EU wants our products and services, it will buy them. I have a feeling that they will.

We should stop worrying about trade deals and, if they come with all sorts of concessions and penalties, reject them out of hand.

The EU 'negotiators' are like little children: push, push, push, just to see how far they can go.
Hi

If we lose Trade Deals it affects our exports..

We will then have to apply WTO Tariffs equally to all.

We need Trade Deals, we have to export to get the Foreign Exchange to pay for our Imports. The likes of China have such a low cost base they have no need to worry.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2018, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

If we lose Trade Deals it affects our exports..

We will then have to apply WTO Tariffs equally to all.

We need Trade Deals, we have to export to get the Foreign Exchange to pay for our Imports. The likes of China have such a low cost base they have no need to worry.
Good to see you back Swims - you were quiet for a bit.
I did message you......

Page 11 of 12 « First < 9 10 11 12 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top