Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2018, 03:50 PM

How do you store your music?

You may use more than one way.

Do you still have CDs and vinyl? Or do you store music on a hard drive, USB Stick, microSD card or just on your phone? Perhaps you store it all in the cloud or maybe you don't store any music at all, preferring to stream it.

I store mine on an external hard drive; I also have some downloaded to my phones. I store all of what I own in the cloud, and I stream what I don't own. I have no CDs or tapes or vinyl.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2018, 04:48 PM

Re: How do you store your music?

I too have an external hard drive, a 2TB one which is 2000GB. It has all of my 8500+ albums on it, most in MP3 format, plus loads of self-compiled collection, live concerts, videos, films and it's still only half full. I use USB sticks a lot, mostly for the car.

I sold most of my vinyl years ago to make space but kept some favourites and rarities. All my CDs are in the loft, around 3000 of them.

I dislike streaming, not interested. I like the physical items. I still buy DVDs as they look good in cabinets, especially tv box sets which I can watch during the weekend at night when I can't sleep. No interest in Netflix, I like to put on a physical disc.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2018, 05:02 PM

I find streaming invaluable when I see an album I'm not too familiar with, perhaps on your thread, I can just find and play it very quickly.

I've got one 12000 song playlist stored on my phone and perhaps half of it is my own music, the other half Google Play Music's songs. I don't mind paying the £9.99 a month. I've discovered a lot of music by using a streaming service too.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2018, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
I find streaming invaluable when I see an album I'm not too familiar with, perhaps on your thread, I can just find and play it very quickly.
It's good for that sort of thing I can imagine, Ffosse.
I just haven't ever done it mainly as I haven't had the time.

To be honest, after that first Chicago album we had in my thread the other day I ordered the CD again, which was only three quid. I did see a 10-CD box set of all their albums from 1969-1979 which I would love but it's £30.
If I got myself sorted out with streaming, would it be cheaper and would this be on MP3. I have no idea how it works tbh!
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh

09-04-2018, 05:13 PM

You pay £7.99/£9.99 a month to Spotify/Apple Music/Google Play Music a month and have access to their libraries which are some 30 million songs. You can then play or download for offline listening any songs, albums you want. Bit rate is usually 320kbps on Google Play Music though Spotify uses ogg and Apple Music aac. They sound good enough, anyway, and you'd have to have golden ears to spot the difference from the lossless of CDs. There are a few streaming services which are lossless or even higher resolution but I regard them a waste of money.

It definitely would be cheaper than buying the physical albums but the downside is you don't own the albums. I see that as a bonus, though, as I dislike collecting things.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

09-04-2018, 05:16 PM

It definitely would be cheaper than buying the physical albums but the downside is you don't own the albums. I see that as a bonus, though, as I dislike collecting things.
But how much is a typical album cost to stream for instance? Or the 10CD box set?
Is streaming the same as downloading, I have no idea? I don't even know about Cloud or what that means. I just haven't got any time to look into these things working my Godawful night shifts.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh

09-04-2018, 05:22 PM

I think we posted at the same time but I've mostly answered above. Downloading means that you can keep these albums on your phone and listen without an internet connection. You are looking at about £8 to £10 a month for a streaming service with the companies often offering the first month or sometimes 3 months free for new customers. You can listen to or download as much as you want.

With Google Play Music you can upload 50,000 of your own songs and, using their app, listen to (stream) any of them free of charge. It's only when you listen to music that isn't your own you have to pay.

For instance, I've got 6 Jayhawks albums on my iPhone that I didn't pay for - they come out of my £9.99 subscription for Google Music - the only limit for downloaded music is the capacity of your phone. And streaming doesn't use your phone's storage, it's like watching a You Tube video.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

09-04-2018, 05:28 PM

I think we posted at the same time but I've mostly answered above. Downloading means that you can keep these albums on your phone and listen without an internet connection. You are looking at about £8 to £10 a month for a streaming service with the companies often offering the first month or sometimes 3 months free for new customers. You can listen to or download as much as you want.
So I could get unlimited music for less than £10 per month? That sounds great, but I don't even play music through my phone. I use an mp3 player. That's how backward I am lol!

Plus, I bought my phone outright so I only pay for the rental which is £7.50 per month. I use it for this forum, phone calls and the odd text and that's it. I'm wondering if I should get up to date or if I'm perfectly happy with what I've got.
I don't even use bluetooth but again, I don't need it tbh.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2018, 05:31 PM

I have a few albums on an iplayer downloaded from Apple store but mainly use CDs. I prefer a physical format and don't trust anything else tbh.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh

09-04-2018, 05:35 PM

Well, I know that all the services have a month or sometimes 3 free before you start paying so you could give it a go. I'd recommend Google Play as it's the only one you can upload music to - I have my entire collection on there as well as a hard drive.

Phones are the main reason people don't use mp3 players as much these days.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top