Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
sarah kay
kent
sarah kay is female  sarah kay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2018, 05:26 PM

Re: Londoners, do you visit Harrods?

I did work there for a while - junior fashion department very interesting customers and the clothes Harrods sold but wages were poor and I always did secretarial jobs sitting and standing all day too much for me so I walked out - I bought something small there cant remember what and that was it.

Selfridges and John Lewis are nice stores.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2018, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by sarah kay ->
I did work there for a while - junior fashion department very interesting customers and the clothes Harrods sold but wages were poor and I always did secretarial jobs sitting and standing all day too much for me so I walked out - I bought something small there cant remember what and that was it.

Selfridges and John Lewis are nice stores.
I also prefer Selfridges. JL is on a downward spiral though. Liberty's is good too.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2018, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Robert Junior ->
Back in the 1970s I visited Harrods many times after I’d finished my monthly meeting with other department store buyers.

Everyone should visit Harrods at least once in their lifetime, sooner rather than later in these days of disappearing retailers.

Forgive me, but I have a little story concerning my Uncle Vivian & Harrods.

Uncle when well into his 60s was a props manager for Southern Television (as was. closed years ago). He hadn’t retired because quite simply he was the best of his generation.

On his “find” list one week was AN ANTS NEST, for a Children's programme.
Undeterred Uncle Vivian tried all the local pet shops.

I was telling him about my recent visits to Harrods.
“Why you can get anything there,” I said.

“Hmm” he mused.
He rang them as soon as I had gone.
“I’d like an ant’s nest please”

He was asked to hold the line for a few minutes.

Then came the reply.
“We have on offer small, medium or large, delivery this Friday”
Brilliant!
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2018, 06:39 PM

Yes, I have been known to venture into the Food Hall, and buy something just for the bag, lol. Probably a bread roll, or something like that. I also like Selfridges.

Agree, too expensive to buy anything in either store.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2018, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Missy ->
Price list.
https://images.harrods.com/content/h...enus_main-menu

No dearer then anywhere in central London and tbh, if I go for a coffee here locally in NI, it's £4
I've never been to London, I'm hoping to go in June though to see Les Miserables, think I'll take a flask with me LOL x
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2018, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
I've never been to London, I'm hoping to go in June though to see Les Miserables, think I'll take a flask with me LOL x

London isn’t that bad lol

I remember having a heart attack at Dublin prices when we first came over here

You just need to be savy, same as any city. I’m more then happy buying a meal deal for lunch, printing coupons for evening meals and getting coffee and ice cream from Mc Ds

If we want a drink, it’s weatherspons Even a meal in there isn’t budget busting , is good for the price.
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2018, 12:33 PM

Wow, thanks for all the great replies. Too bad it's so expensive, though.

You know what I'd really love to see, though, is English or Scottish countryside. However, I'd also love to see Germany and The Netherlands, since my dad's side of the family is Dutch and my mom's side of the family is German. I have an Aunt that lives in Germany somewhere, but I lost touch with her a few years after she moved back to Germany from the states.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2018, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Linda0818 ->
Wow, thanks for all the great replies. Too bad it's so expensive, though.

You know what I'd really love to see, though, is English or Scottish countryside. However, I'd also love to see Germany and The Netherlands, since my dad's side of the family is Dutch and my mom's side of the family is German. I have an Aunt that lives in Germany somewhere, but I lost touch with her a few years after she moved back to Germany from the states.

Germany is lovely, and only an hour to London. Might as well come over and spend a while

I also love Scotland. I’m heading over as soon as I can arrange time off work. This time of year I think Scotland is at its best
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2018, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by Missy ->
Germany is lovely, and only an hour to London. Might as well come over and spend a while

I also love Scotland. I’m heading over as soon as I can arrange time off work. This time of year I think Scotland is at its best
I'd like to live here in The Cotswolds. That place is so beautiful. It's my dream village.

Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2018, 10:44 PM

What a beautiful village in your picture Linda.

I remember going to Harrods once as a youngster, with my parents.
I bought a bowl for the family dog.

It was very stuffy, and airless in there that day for some reason, and it made me feel a little unwell. I had to keep standing by the doors to get fresh air.

That's the only time I have ever been there.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top