Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2018, 11:27 AM

Re: Make it, or buy it?

Cold/Flu Remedy

Never buy over the counter remedies like flu capsules as all they do is greatly prolongue your illness and make it worse with the paracetamol or equiv element. I blitz entire lemons (pith, peel and juice) in a blender with big chunks of fresh ginger and a little hot water to make a super healthy flu busting pale yellow concentrate. It keeps in the fridge for a week or so. I use it like orange squash, a little in a mug with hot water and a little honey for sweetness. The vitamins and goodness in the pectin quickly kill throat bugs.

Realist don't you put it through a sieve?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2018, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Cold/Flu Remedy

Never buy over the counter remedies like flu capsules as all they do is greatly prolongue your illness and make it worse with the paracetamol or equiv element. I blitz entire lemons (pith, peel and juice) in a blender with big chunks of fresh ginger and a little hot water to make a super healthy flu busting pale yellow concentrate. It keeps in the fridge for a week or so. I use it like orange squash, a little in a mug with hot water and a little honey for sweetness. The vitamins and goodness in the pectin quickly kill throat bugs.

Ruthio - Realist recommended this last year sometime when I picked up a virus - I did not sieve it but did remove the pips - then drank it bits and all. It really works I was better in 24 hours.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2018, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Depends Ruthio. If your blender is good enough then it's not necessary. The bits are tiny but no problem sieving if they haven't blended well. The more you can get inside you the better really.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2018, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Depends Ruthio. If your blender is good enough then it's not necessary. The bits are tiny but no problem sieving if they haven't blended well. The more you can get inside you the better really.
Thanks. I also read that the ginger is best simmered for ten minutes first to release all the goodies

There's loads of info on the web about ginger/lemon/honey preparations... basically just get it down you!!!
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK

25-04-2018, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Ruthio - Realist recommended this last year sometime when I picked up a virus - I did not sieve it but did remove the pips - then drank it bits and all. It really works I was better in 24 hours.
Don't worry, I'm a convert too
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2018, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Bread

Obviously always make my own unless unable to. Store bought bread is laden with chemicals and preservatives and really very bad for you. Bread needs to be long fermented. You'll only get that from an artisan bakery or from making your own.

Passata

I make batches of homemade passata with nothing but fresh plum tomatoes, garlic and basil. Store in portions in the freezer to make pasta's and chillis.

Granola

A delight in summer. From a base of muesli oats, which I toast, I add hazelnuts, pecan nuts, almonds, cranberries, dates, dried apricot nibs and raisins, all bound together with healthy coconut oil and a little treacle to give that slight gingerbread flavour. Great with yoghurt and fruits.

Washing Powder

Recent commercial washing powders are hugely alkalinic and burn or irritate many people's skin. An unhealthy option.
I make batches of my own using £1 bags of soda crystals and completely natural soaps which I grate. Finding truly natural soaps without bad parabens in is difficult but the Faith In Nature website has many with great scents. Lavender and Rosemary are 2 of the best for washing powder.

Cold/Flu Remedy

Chutney/Jam

Wife used to make many 100s of jars of various chutneys every Christmas but hasn't done so for many years now. It's just not cost effective to make your own unless you have access to a free windfall of fruit.

Aside from that, like many others I make all my meals from scratch using fresh ingredients. Never ever buy ready meals and only very very occasionally have take aways.
Really enjoyed reading this, the cold/flu remedy is interesting, will have to remember that one.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2018, 08:49 PM

My diet used to be very poor but since I've got older I eat very healthily and make lots of soups, stews, casseroles, stir fry veggies. I make homemade curries and chillis from scratch but sometimes I might cheat and use a jar of sauce if I have one in. I've never made things like chutneys and jams though but I would like to one day when I pack up work and have more time.
Newcomer
Dorset
Newcomer is female  Newcomer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2018, 09:28 AM

I make as much as I can. I really don't fancy bought pies or sausage rolls. Bought cake always tastes synthetic and far too sweet for me. This business of banning sugar in everything is not the good news that it's supposed to be though as it gets replaced with artificial sweeteners that aren't good for you. Why can't they just use less sugar and have smaller portions.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top