Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2018, 11:05 PM

Fruit.

I am trying to eat more fruit but there is no consistency with it.
I bought apples and found them boring and the skin was like chewing leather. I then bought some golden delicious apples the last pack on the shelf when I went into Tescos for a change.
Really sweet and soft ended up eating 2 in one day which is a big thing for me who not struck on fruit. Bought some more golden delicious today at Sainsburys. Had one tonight or rather half of one. Tasteless fruit and tough as old boots skin again.

I bought some Kiwi fruit and they taste bitter.
The only fruit you can buy that has any consistency is bananas Ok, they can be a little firm when ripening but at least they all taste the same

What is it with fruit. Why so hard to get it right? Is it the supermarket?
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2018, 11:08 PM

Re: Fruit.

its because its picked before its ripe and kept in cold storage for months

I just don't bother with fruit now, full of sugar anyway
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2018, 11:15 PM

Mc 'Golden delicious' are pretty tasteless, I would never choose them . If British grown apples are out of season I buy Granny Smiths they nice and crisp, I keep them in the fridge.

Pears are good just now, 'Conference' are readily available and ripen quickly.

Lots of oranges available, I buy the little juicing oranges they have the most flavour.

I shop at a variety of small shops, my nearest supermarket is Waitrose and I go there if supermarket shopping so I can't speak for the others.

Decent melons and pineapples are just coming in season , to choose a ripe melon push the end with your thumb and it should 'give' a little. With a ripe pineapple you should be able to pull out a green leaf easily.

The English strawberry season is just about to start
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2018, 01:53 AM

Braeburn apples are usually nice - especially in a fresh fruit salad. That is something I make a lot of - usually enough for a week at a time and keep in the 'fridge. Love fruit!
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2018, 07:26 AM

I have the same problem with apples. I bought a bag of Cox's last week, really crisp but completely tasteless so I took them back. Now I only buy Pink Lady which so far have always been really tasty. In the autumn it's Worcesters for me. Otherwise I steer clear of apples altogether, God knows how long it's been since they were picked, plus they seem to have a waxy surface, presumably to preserve them, so best to wash them first.

With oranges I always get Navel as they are consistently sweet.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2018, 08:27 AM

Pink lady apples are nice but it's a bit early for them right now....what's really lovely MC is strawberries dipped in chocolate I'm doing those later for the kids at a family barbecue.....sorta defeats the healthy eating thing though
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2018, 10:26 AM

I love fruit and we have a big bowl of fruit every week.

But I don't eat the Apples because they just taste like water inside.

I eat Pears and Grapes.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2018, 10:38 AM

My advice Monday's Child, is to look at the labelling and be selective about the places your fruit comes from.

For example, most of the Raspberries at present are being shipped in all the way from Morocco !! I mean do I want Strawberries from Morocco? No thanks. I'll have those grown and picked in the UK.

The same goes for Strawberries. They have been mostly tasteless and half white for weeks. I will only buy those grown in Scotland or England.

It goes on like this across all the fruit. You really have to be discerning imo. Lot's of stuff (esp at places like Aldi) is shipped over from Africa and so you have to understand how long it will be since that fruit was plucked from the tree. Small wonder those places are cheap ! Like Missy said earlier they pick stuff before it's ripe and store it and then use other processes to artificially ripen it. Not very natural really.

Obviously some things we have to take from far away places, like bananas, mangoes etc. But the basics can all be sourced from the UK. Strawberries, Blackberries, raspberries, Blueberries, cherries, apples, plums etc etc.

Cherries in particular I buy a lot of even though they are relatively expensive. They are a super fruit packed with goodness. Blueberries also.

We need to support local fruit growers where we can imo rather than opt for cheap nasty foreign imports.
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2018, 04:46 PM

Oh wow. Ive just eaten one of the pears I bought at Sainsburys yesterday.
I never been keen on pears but thought I would try some. It was soft, juicy and so lovely to eat. Not hard and chewy like an apple. It was so juicy I had to hold it well away from me as with every bite the juice was running down my hand and I was in serious danger of it dripping all over me.
Why did no one tell me about pears before. 🍐
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2018, 08:26 PM

When you buy Pears, you have to leave them for one week so that they are lovely and soft and juicy.

I also never used to like Pears until I worked in a Farm Shop and I used to pick the Pears and Plums.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top