Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2018, 08:58 AM

Re: Steroids

I am given steroids to take three a day for three days after each of my fortnightly chemo cycles. They give me a boost.

I didn’t realise that it was the steroids that caused my finger tips to split Longfellow, very painful, I too often have to use plasters.
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2018, 09:35 AM

I had to take steroids for about 4 days when I had pneumonia last year. They made me feel very, very sick, in fact I didn't take them all.

I also had a steroid injection in my elbow as a treatment for tennis elbow but it didn't seem to do any good.
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2018, 09:56 AM

I have been taking steroids for years for my arthritis. I take a daily dose, plus another arthritis med. When I have a severe flare-up of my symptoms, being unable to function properly, then I increase the dosage for a few days. I have been dealing with this problem for so long that my GP allows me to titrate my dosage according to the symptoms. I revert back to the normal dose when my symptoms ease.

Obviously I hate having to take steroids, but without them I would probably be bed bound. I also know the damage these can do, but I only have one life and want to enjoy what I can of it. I’ll be dead a long time.
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2018, 01:04 PM

I was prescribed steroids by the consultant,I've just finished a two week course,I'm currently under investigation for either Asthma or COPD.
Previous to the course I was struggling with energy and getting tired with a damned irriating cough.that as disappeared.Last weekend we went on a 8 mile walk,came back feeling as good as I have for ages.I'm 61 this weekend,I guess with life expectancy reducing with every day the benefits of steroids will out way any side effects.
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2018, 08:16 PM

Dr rang me today [as promised]asked how I was,she seemed surprised when I said I was still 'wheezy' but its only my 2nd day of steroids + anti biotics so I felt it is early days,DR just said [ usual] " Keep taking the tablets IF things get worse ring 999 ",[nothing was said re 'sickness /diarrohea, which seems to have cleared ):] I feel like Im on a merry go round.
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2018, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by deylon ->
Dr rang me today [as promised]asked how I was,she seemed surprised when I said I was still 'wheezy' but its only my 2nd day of steroids + anti biotics so I felt it is early days,DR just said [ usual] " Keep taking the tablets IF things get worse ring 999 ",[nothing was said re 'sickness /diarrohea, which seems to have cleared ):] I feel like Im on a merry go round.
Deylon
Normal is anti's take 24hrs to get into your system and start to work whilst steroids can take up to 3 days before they start taking hold and you start feeling a difference.

I normally get the munchies around day 3 as well as starting to feel good and my breathing improves tremendously after 5 days.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2018, 11:47 PM

Steroids saved my life on several occasions. They would really knock me for six though. I also had a steroid injection last year and it took me a few days to recover from it, but I think it did help me heal.

So I think they are very useful when you need them and I am glad we have access to such a cheap and effective medicine, but I'd hate to be on them long term. I don't really have a good reaction to them.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2018, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by deylon ->
Glad you are feeling better re the sickness. Maybe because you were sick the tablets weren't absorbed so well and they need a few more days to have an effect.

They did tell you to take the steroids with food?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top