Join for free
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2018, 07:01 PM

Re: Bought Bread

My diabetic nurse told me to eat wholemeal preferably seeded bread so I was buying Hovis seven seed bread.
However the first nurse I saw at cardiac rehab looked at me in horror that I was even eating any kind of bread and told me that my limit should be one slice a day but then went on to tell me I was allowed to have 10 units of alcohol per week and could save them up and have them all at once if I wanted.
So I went on to start eating wholemeal pitta instead as thats supposed to be healthier.

The nurse I saw on Friday at cardio was much better and sensible.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2018, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
Tesco's wholemeal loaf which I ask the nice people to slice for me.
Good proper bread needs but 4 ingredients which are:

FLOUR, SALT, WATER and YEAST

This is the ingredients list of Tesco Wholemeal Bread:

INGREDIENTS: Wholemeal Wheat Flour, Water, Wheat Gluten, Yeast, Rapeseed Oil, Salt, Spirit Vinegar, Soya Flour, Processing Aids (Rapeseed Oil, Calcium Sulphate, Water, Palm Oil, Enzymes, Sunflower Lecithins, Polyglycerol Polyricinoleate, Carnauba Wax, Linseed Oil, Glyceryl Triacetate, Mono- and Di-Glycerides of Fatty Acids, Acetic Acid, Tocopherol-Rich Extract), Caramelised Sugar, Emulsifier (Mono- and Di-Acetyl Tartaric Acid Esters of Mono- and Di-Glycerides of Fatty Acids), Preservative (Calcium Propionate), Palm Oil, Flour Treatment Agent (Ascorbic Acid)

Frankly I wouldn't touch that with a barge pole

Note the presence of caramelised sugar, a totally unnecessary ingredient but one which will help to convince your brain that the bread is "scrummy".
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2018, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by susiejaeger ->
I have, All Bran, Bran Flakes or Porridge, and I put Blueberries in mine.
All Bran - contains 6g sugar in each 31g serving which equates to being 19% sugar. Horrendous.

http://smartlabel.kelloggs.com/Produ...00038000014116

Bran Flakes - contain 14g sugar per 100g - 14% sugar

These are imho sugar laden crap masquerading as healthy foods. Don't fall for it.

Instead go for 100% Shredded Wheat which contains 12g fibre per 100g and just 0.7g sugar per 100g.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2018, 01:02 AM

Tesco Wholemeal sliced loaf when I have the odd sandwich at home or toast.
I take wraps to work.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2018, 06:28 AM

My dad loves Hovis Wholemeal. Rye bread is another one with good fibre content and low sugar. I love soya and linseed but I think it's a bit naughty
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2018, 06:32 AM

I like Sainsbury's crusty sourdough loaf, but I do swap and change sometimes, anything "artisan" is usually really flavoursome - olives, cheese, herbs, as long as it's got a good crust on it. I don't much like wholemeal.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2018, 07:20 AM

Warburtons medium white for sandwiches...shame it's from Lancashire but there you go.
Leia
UK
Leia is female  Leia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2018, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
Warburtons medium white for sandwiches...shame it's from Lancashire but there you go.

Ooooh summer, there's no need for that

My friend's son works in the bakery
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2018, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by Leia ->
Ooooh summer, there's no need for that

My friend's son works in the bakery

Hope you get a discount
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2018, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
Their seeded batch is also very tasty....but don't eat it before having a blood test!
I learned, this week, that the poppy seeds in it can show traces of morphine in your blood.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top