Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2018, 10:06 AM

Re: Wildlife Pond or Koi Pond.

I have an old green washing up bowl the birds like it .
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2018, 10:10 AM

These are my wildlife ponds.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180520_085816.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	5958   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180520_085759.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	5959  
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2018, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->

They are lovely Pauline

When we were kids we had a pond in the garden that attracted frogs and newts

The pond I had in my last home also attracted them

This pond I'm struggling with It's 3 years old now and it still won't settle. Just can't keep the water clear at all so keep having to resort to chemicals which doesn't help attract wildlife
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2018, 11:18 AM

What a shame,Missy,you probably know a lot more about ponds than i,..can you explain what you mean,by it wont settle.?...you are right about chemicals, since i stopped using slug pellets, my garden is inundated with wildlife, as of yet,no newts,only a couple of frogs,hedgehogs x2,haven't seen then this year,they come in under the fence,i put leaves there,to see if they are coming in or not,the leaves have definitely been disturbed, but not sure it's the hedgehogs, i tell you what else i have,one large rat!..my goodness, he /she,are bold,sits on the fence, preening itself,LOL.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2018, 11:44 AM

What a shame,Missy,you probably know a lot more about ponds than i,..can you explain what you mean,by it wont settle.?...you are right about chemicals, since i stopped using slug pellets, my garden is inundated with wildlife, as of yet,no newts,only a couple of frogs,hedgehogs x2,haven't seen then this year,they come in under the fence,i put leaves there,to see if they are coming in or not,the leaves have definitely been disturbed, but not sure it's the hedgehogs, i tell you what else i have,one large rat!..my goodness, he /she,are bold,sits on the fence, preening itself,LOL.

The wildlife will come slowly

when a pond is balanced it stays clear, with just odd blooms of algae , mine just won't stay clear at all

We have planted it well up, don't have too many fish, have a pump with an ultra violet light on it which is supposed to kill the algae but nope, pea soup every few weeks so we have to resort to chemicals. I think it's because of the amount of rain we have , the water never gets to balance. We have so much rain that we have had to put an overflow on the pond else the fish can swim away lol

I'll find a photo later and post to show you
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2018, 01:33 PM

I love those Pauline. I was actually thinking of making a small wildlife pond as well as my main pond.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2018, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Missy ->
The wildlife will come slowly

when a pond is balanced it stays clear, with just odd blooms of algae , mine just won't stay clear at all

We have planted it well up, don't have too many fish, have a pump with an ultra violet light on it which is supposed to kill the algae but nope, pea soup every few weeks so we have to resort to chemicals. I think it's because of the amount of rain we have , the water never gets to balance. We have so much rain that we have had to put an overflow on the pond else the fish can swim away lol

I'll find a photo later and post to show you
I have had the same problem this year with dark green water. I have tried various treatment but waiting seems to be the answer. It has just started to clear slightly in the last few days.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

20-05-2018, 01:37 PM

If anyone is interested, some more posts here from an old thread of mine.

http://www.over50sforum.com/showthread.php?t=44232
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK

20-05-2018, 02:10 PM

Thanks for the info Missy,i understand now,i put barley straw liquid in one pond,to control the string algae, which seems to be working, ..i never get it in the other one,maybe because the sun is very dappled on that spot,..hope your pond sorts itself soon.

Thank you Longdogs,for the compliment, i will be very interested to know,if you decide to put a wildlife pond in,keep us posted.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK

20-05-2018, 02:15 PM

Just clicked on your pics,from another thread,Longdogs, only 2 pics came up,the beautiful yellow flower and ,i believe it to be your pond with a beautiful tree and the water lilies, ..what a great time,now is,to enjoy our garden's and ponds.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top