Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
islandman
Dorset UK
islandman is male  islandman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2016, 07:59 PM

Frustrating trying to connect to shop's wifi, (hot spots)

I have for the last umpteen years, had a SIM only contract with orange then they became EE. My monthly charge was £8 and although there were adequate minutes and texts, the data was minimal so I never used it for fear of over-running and incurring charges.

So when I became aware of Life Mobile (google it) offering 1500 mins, unlimited texts and 1 GB chose to do that as it is £6 monthly.

I do find though that when I want to use the net in town, it is very slow, maybe it's due to phone though, but there is a constant "connect to wifi" appearing, such as in tesco/asda/ M&S etc, but to connect to them, you have to be online to collect a code via email and that's where I get stuck. Due to slow connection, by the time the code comes through, we're ready to leave shop. I hope I've explained this correctly and does anyone else identify with it and if so, how do you get round it?
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2016, 08:16 PM

Re: Frustrating trying to connect to shop's wifi, (hot spots)

In all honesty I've never seen the point of trying to use the internet on a mobile phone. The screens are tiny and you don't get a conventional keyboard so typing at speed "properly" is impossible.

I always carry a small netbook around with me, about the size of a book. I use WiFi wherever it is free and it works just great.

I only use WiFi services that are truly free such as The Cloud. I don't use services which insist on a mobile number (like the O2 service you find in Costa Coffee shops).
islandman
Dorset UK
islandman is male  islandman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2016, 11:23 PM

So if I were to establish where the cloud was available, that would cut out all the nonsense I speak of ?
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2016, 12:47 AM

Ok well we first need to distinguish between WiFi and phone connection (3G/4G). These are 2 separate and different ways to connect to the internet.

When you use you phone's natural connection (3G/4G) you are using time and MB on your contract (i.e. from your 1GB allowance). This type of connection uses your phone signal so is available to you anywhere you go provided there is a phone signal.

WiFi is different. WiFi uses someone else's internet connection/service and your phone simply acts like a PC/laptop connected to that service. i.e. just the same as a PC at home connected to your broadband.

When you use a WiFi service like The Cloud or the free WiFi in any coffee shop, you are NOT using the time or GB allocation on your phone contract because you are NOT using the phone network.

So, when you are out and about and there is a free WiFi service around you should use this in preference to using your phone connection because it is free and distinct from your phone contract.

The settings/options on your phone will allow you to choose which way you want to connect to the internet. Look for the WiFi option.

In terms of the 3G/4G phone connection be aware that there are only 4 phone networks. These are:

EE, Three, O2 and Vodafone

ALL other providers (e.g. Life Mobile) just piggyback off one of these 4 networks. As it happens Life Mobile piggyback's off the EE network so by switching from EE to Life Mobile you have in reality changed nothing. However, often these extra services offer cheaper deals than going direct as you have discovered.

I am however quite a sceptic and cynic and I believe that the major networks often "tweak" things to make things difficult for these extra providers. So it would not surprise me one bit if the performance of the Life Mobile service was at times slow and unreliable compared to going to EE direct.

You pays yer money and takes yer chance !

Anyway, hope this all makes sense and good luck with using WiFi around town.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK

26-03-2016, 01:00 AM

Incidentally, the problems you cited regarding use of WiFi in places like Tesco, M&S etc are common. Every WiFi service is unique and you should decide carefully which ones to use.
I tend to have a separate email address to use for these. Set up a generic one with Googlemail or Hotmail that doesn't have your name or anything to do with you. Then use that email address whenever you register with one of these WiFi services.

In the UK, Café Nero shops use _The Cloud which just requires your email address.

Costa Coffee uses O2 which requires your mobile phone number so I NEVER use this as I don't want any WiFi service knowing my phone number. I would expect to get spammed and pestered if I did.

Starbucks just has a generic BT service which is free and doesn't need any registration as far as I can remember.

M&S service is also free and I think uses _The Cloud

In fact _The Cloud is probably one of the best to register with (using that anonymous email address) because it is used by so many organisations including:

Weatherspoon pubs
PizzaExpress
Café Nero
Wagamamma
PRET

and many shopping centres and other places

Once registered your laptop or phone can connect anywhere you find the service. Typically you only login the first time, after that it just recognises your machine.
islandman
Dorset UK

26-03-2016, 09:31 AM

Hi Realist, after I'd read your post No 2 in bed last night, I decided to delve into The Cloud when I woke. I have now installed The Cloud app on my phone and it shows where their hot spots are though out the uk and on zooming, I can find those which will help me when out. If we go out today (weather unsettled) I will experiment. When I am in a cloud zone, I will attempt to connect. Until I do, I wont know if I need to enter password, but if I do, will have it ready. My phone is android(Lenovo A816).

I thought I would install the app on my ipad, but although it is free, itunes require bank details which I'm not happy about entering, so the jury is out there.

Your posts have made sense and thank you for them, I may well print them off and retain in folder.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2016, 02:53 PM

I have been using the Cloud for several years now without any problems, quite a few pubs have it.
islandman
Dorset UK

26-03-2016, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
I have been using the Cloud for several years now without any problems, quite a few pubs have it.
So, assuming now that I am in a cloud zone/pub do I have to follow through anything IE submit password, or am I automatically connected.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2016, 04:02 PM

My phone automatically connects, but sometimes there is a screen that asks if I want to continue.
islandman
Dorset UK

26-03-2016, 04:22 PM

Ok thanks. I will endeavour to connect as soon as we are out again, but tomorrow looks depressingly wet.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top