Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
Kev60
Germany. Black Forest.
Kev60 is male  Kev60 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2017, 09:46 PM

Re: Jpeg Raw and Tiff

My camera doesn't have RAW (the downside) but you've explained that in terms that I can understand Gasman. Thanks.
Especially the fruit and veg bit.
gasman
Kent, UK
gasman is male  gasman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2017, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by Kev60 ->
My camera doesn't have RAW (the downside) but you've explained that in terms that I can understand Gasman. Thanks.
Especially the fruit and veg bit.
Thanks Kev
Fogey
Shropshire
Fogey is male  Fogey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2017, 06:53 AM

Lost definition - a visual example.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lossless.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	4056   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lossy.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	4057  
Fogey
Shropshire
Fogey is male  Fogey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2017, 07:10 AM

Images are made up from millions of tiny, tiny dots of colour, called pixels.

The size of an image can be determined in two ways - physical size, ie: 16" X 9", or in the case of computers, measured in pixels, ie 6400 px X 4900 px and density, the size of of the pixels.

The more pixels in an image, the greater the density, the finer the definition.

It can be seen how the camera/computer reduces the pixel count in the image, (by making the pixels larger), resulting in a far 'blockier' end result.

Jpegs are fine for the Internet, but any other sort of reproduction, especially printing needs to be saved as a Tiff at best, or a very large Jpeg.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2017, 10:40 AM

Yes. Whenever I save a jpeg I always go for the largest file option (least compression). That results in pictures that I want to view on screen or print out at A4 size being perfectly acceptable.

I'm sure, though, that printing out pictures at much larger sizes would show visible pixels.
gasman
Kent, UK
gasman is male  gasman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2017, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by Fogey ->
Images are made up from millions of tiny, tiny dots of colour, called pixels.

The size of an image can be determined in two ways - physical size, ie: 16" X 9", or in the case of computers, measured in pixels, ie 6400 px X 4900 px and density, the size of of the pixels.

The more pixels in an image, the greater the density, the finer the definition.

It can be seen how the camera/computer reduces the pixel count in the image, (by making the pixels larger), resulting in a far 'blockier' end result.

Jpegs are fine for the Internet, but any other sort of reproduction, especially printing needs to be saved as a Tiff at best, or a very large Jpeg.
A good explanation there mate. Have never used Tiff.

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top