Join for free
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2017, 10:56 PM

Paying for goods

Anyone see that on the news today about the first supermarket to accept payment by finger vein print?

Have a look here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-41346717

Whatever next?
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2017, 11:13 PM

Re: Paying for goods

Everything technical appears to be moving so fast these days, it's difficult to keep up with progress when you get older. Not sure how I would feel about paying by fingerprint touch.

Saying that though, I do log in to my iPad by touch ID now
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2017, 08:08 AM

Isn't technology amazing . I would Immagine it's a safe way to pay , no numbers to remember and no cards to carry . I often wonder what's next .

I've often wondered why we have electric leads and wires , for instance behind my tv there are loads of leads all plugged into the socket and extension lead . I wonder why someone hasn't invented a light beam of electricity so the light beam runs all the electric appliances .

Am I making sense ? Now if I was clever I'd invent it
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2017, 08:48 AM

Mrs Mart's Surface Pro logs her in by facial recognition. The trouble is that she mostly uses this computer when in bed, so it only recognises her when she is laying down and propped up a bit. If sitting up, she has to use the alternative of typing in a PIN.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2017, 08:57 AM

Sooner we are all chipped the better, then plod and co can find out our comings and goings.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2017, 11:32 AM

I do hope that they require users to wash their hands first.

Who knows what's on that finger?

Scenario - user picks his nose (or worse) and then pokes finger in device.........Uh!

The mind boggles!!!!

Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2017, 11:40 AM

The future of payments is already here and has been trialled by 10s of 1000s of people esp in Aussie land.

They are going to implant small capsules containing RFID tags under the skin of your hand between thumb and index finger. Just Google human RFID tagging.

The RFID chip in your bank card that allows contactless payments is just the forerunner for this 1984 Orwellian technology. It's to get you used to just waving a card over a machine. That will be replaced with you waving your hand over the machine.

In short, we are all going to be "bagged and tagged" as we enter the long since predicted police state which will monitor everthing you do. Everywhere you go.

There will be powerful chip readers everywhere. In doorways, toilets, road gantries, shops, pubs, cinemas, theatres . . . essentially everywhere.

Your privacy will be gone at that point.

http://anonhq.com/46297-2/

Mandatory vaccinations next !
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2017, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
I do hope that they require users to wash their hands first.

Who knows what's on that finger?

Scenario - user picks his nose (or worse) and then pokes finger in device.........Uh!

The mind boggles!!!!

I'm sorry but really, I couldn't help but chuckle.
I mean, "The mind boggles" !

These are all great ................. but my dear old mum-in-law won't even use her bank card!
Mind you, seeing as how these RFID's can be scanned so easily & your info half-inched she might have a point.
Maldonado proceeded to demonstrate a rig that would allow an attacker to remotely scan a card, from a distance of approximately 2 feet, and then send that data to a cloning machine (up to 30 feet away) which would then automatically write the card.
http://mashable.com/2017/07/27/rfid-.../#34T3HnsFIPqm
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2017, 06:42 PM

We don't use contactless payments by waving the banks card over a machine, as the hoods have scanners to pick this up. We asked Lloyds to issue new contactless cards.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2017, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
Mind you, seeing as how these RFID's can be scanned so easily & your info half-inched she might have a point.
Yep, it's easy for thieves to stand next to you in a queue and use a device to scan your RFID card without you knowing.

That's why there are hundreds of RFID Blocking wallets and purses available to buy on the market.

I have one of the "Access Denied" branded wallets and I bought my wife one too.

Amazon have plenty but it's worth Googling for offers.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top