Join for free
Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2016, 09:56 PM

Re: Pum seeks Pom advice !

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
Bring your own beer difficult to find a decent pint nowadays and all the pubs charge like wounded rhinos!
Not a prob, Purwell. Both wine-drinkers.
Would expect to be able to get some fine Western Australian sav blanc or even French bubbly .
Whilst in Ireland, I guess that Guinness will be de rigueur.
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2016, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
What have you considered so far?
Virtually nothing, Pesta.
Except, as I said to visit the localities of our forebears.
I can see I should come back later when we have done even a modicum of homework.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2016, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Pumicestone ->
Virtually nothing, Pesta.
Except, as I said to visit the localities of our forebears.
I can see I should come back later when we have done even a modicum of homework.
Think that's probably best. What would you like to visit, what are your interests (besides cats ), museums, art, hilly, flat, country, town, castles, breweries .......
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2016, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
You'll be dropping into the capital will you?
London is always a must and loved by the tourists.
A red London bus , once seen, is never forgotten.
St Paul's Cathedral in the background is always worth a visit too. Great early English architecture.

I'm sure Morty is playing you at your own game, WumPum. You probably already realise that isn't St Paul's.
And St Paul's is several hundred years later than Early English!
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2016, 10:29 PM

JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2016, 10:30 PM

Downing Street is another popular place. I'm not sure whether it's pedestrianized and only allows the PM, government ministers, police and Larry.

Actually, I think Number 10 is now doing short term breaks. We're all having to make provision for our expensive membership of the EU.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2016, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I'm sure Morty is playing you at your own game, WumPum. You probably already realise that isn't St Paul's.
And St Paul's is several hundred years later than Early English!
Rumbled

The proper St Paul's Cathedral entrance.

JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

12-08-2016, 10:37 PM

Seriously, if you want to see England you really can't miss Yorkshire: history, beautiful landscapes, better beer than anywhere else in the country (don't drink the southern stuff - witches piss), world-leading cricket (I know the Australians could do with some tips), and friendly welcoming people... like me.

But avoid Bradford.
Pumicestone
Australia

12-08-2016, 10:37 PM

Not much into museums or art.
I guess trying to cover England, Scotland and Ireland in four weeks means we'll be pretty much restricted to just the normal touristy stuff.
In London, say, for just a few days - Buck Palace, Westminster Abbey, Parliament, St Pauls, that bloody big ferris wheel thing (London Eye ?) - that sort of stuff.
Actually, I prefer to spend time with people as much as places or things.
Try to get to now the natives - so to speak.

I am into pubs - but wifey, not so much.
And I'd like to sample the music wherever we go.

EDIT: And yes, an absolute must - one or two of those places where the Muslim demographic is most prominent.
Would love to chat with a few about the attitudes they encounter.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

12-08-2016, 10:39 PM

Rumbled

The proper St Paul's Cathedral entrance.

That's more like it, Morty. True Early English Gothic. Didn't Lady Di get married there?

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top