Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2016, 04:51 PM

salt free meals:(

On doctors advice Mr Mud now has to have a salt free diet .
Oh dear we do put loads of pepper and herbs but life is grim without salt
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2016, 04:54 PM

Re: salt free meals:(

I agree, though i do try to limit its use.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2016, 04:59 PM

Salt and vinegar crisps with the salt? That's sacrilege !
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2016, 09:20 PM

Salt is a bodily requirement. An excess, of anything will disrupt the balance. Research important as ever
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2016, 09:26 PM

That must be the shortest post you have ever submitted, and I agree
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2016, 10:29 PM

Salt has its uses, when I competed in long distance events every food station had salt tablets to ward off cramp and muscle fatigue.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2016, 11:37 PM

You can buy something called Lo-Salt - but I am not sure what it tastes like.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2016, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I use this Low Sodium salt, its OK not much difference to my taste buds.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2016, 11:45 PM

I use very little salt and have got accustomed to not having it now
I add taste by using lots of fresh herbs and black pepper.
Vegetables are steamed to retain flavour.

I love unsalted butter, I don't add much salt to the bread I make though some of it contains a few olives finely chopped soaked first to remove the salt.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2016, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Lo-Salt

http://recipes.howstuffworks.com/fre...ly-healthy.htm

"It promises all the flavorful goodness of salt without the sodium and could be very helpful for those interested in lowering their sodium intake.

The problem is that you can't have salt without sodium. It'd be like taking the hydrogen out of H2O -- it just doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Salt is called sodium chloride for a reason: It's 40 percent sodium and 60 percent chlorine, and cutting out most of the sodium makes it, well, something that isn't salt. In fact, according to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), low-sodium salt isn't even food, as food-grade salt is required to consist of at least 97.5 percent sodium chloride."

"But if low-sodium salt isn't food, what is it? Low-sodium salts typically replace some of the sodium in sodium chloride with potassium, so they're a mixture of sodium and potassium chloride. Potassium chloride does have a salt-like taste, but there's a reason we've been sprinkling our steaks exclusively with sodium-infused crystals for thousands of years -- potassium chloride can kill you."

"Potassium chloride is the principle positive ion in our body's cells and can help lower blood pressure. Unfortunately, it can also stop your heart. In fact, potassium chloride, while safe in small dosages, is the toxin of choice for many states' lethal injection procedures, so it's definitely not something you want to ingest in excess. Most low-sodium salts advise you to consult a doctor before consuming, but if you ask us, it's safer to just stay away from non-food products, especially if they can kill you."

TLC Tip

"Instead of low-sodium salt, you may want to try organic herb seasoning salt. It's not a complete salt substitute, but the sodium content is lessoned through the addition of other all-natural ingredients, such as onions, celery leaves, garlic, thyme and rosemary"

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top