Join for free
Page 2 of 18 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2016, 01:35 PM

Re: BEWARE Smart Meters Coming

Originally Posted by susan m ->
I've been receiving letters from SSE to have a smart meter fitted for a couple of years , I just bin them.
If your neighbour doesn't share your thoughts and has one you're knackered so check their views.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2016, 02:55 PM

Why we are told smart meters are needed...
Smart meters are the new generation of gas and electricity meters being rolled out across Great Britain. They show you how much energy you are using in pounds and pence, in near real time and bring an end to estimated bills.
I am not having a smart meter fitted, nothing to do with radiation, I refused to be manipulated by the power companies .

Every month I read my own meter and submit the results online so I don't cost the power company a penny in meter readers unless they choose to send someone to read the meter. I do not have estimated bills.

I don't need any meter telling me how much power I am using from moment to moment therefore prompting me to turn off appliances and cut my bills (do power companies really want us spending less ), I have news for the power companies, most of us are not rich and only use what power is absolutely necessary we don't need a reminder to do that.

Once the goal of getting everyone to have a meter has been achieved we will see the power companies deciding exactly when we can use power by manipulating the prices and putting up the costs of power at peak times in an attempt to force us to use power at the discretion of the power companies.

The futile excercise of fitting smart meters is going to cost us all around 11 billion pounds , a total waste of money I would say..
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/p...es-you-30.html
Shadowman
Wisconsin, USA
Shadowman is male  Shadowman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2016, 03:20 PM

They have been in use here for quite a few years. But the effects apparently are hard to study given the many such sources of small amounts of periodic radiofrequency waves from things such as cell phones and Wi-Fi devices.
http://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancerc...e/smart-meters

There was some news I recall years back that was similar to the concern about cell phones causing brain tumors, etc. Didn't pan out though.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2016, 04:24 PM

Interesting YouTube clip here. Shows smart meter radiation being measured. The radiation is high power bursts and they occur every minute not every 4-6 hours as touted by the energy companies.

The vid then goes on to highlight ALL the other ways your health is being assaulted and the reason for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLsfHgZIMsc
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2016, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Why we are told smart meters are needed...

I am not having a smart meter fitted, nothing to do with radiation, I refused to be manipulated by the power companies .

Every month I read my own meter and submit the results online so I don't cost the power company a penny in meter readers unless they choose to send someone to read the meter. I do not have estimated bills.

I don't need any meter telling me how much power I am using from moment to moment therefore prompting me to turn off appliances and cut my bills (do power companies really want us spending less ), I have news for the power companies, most of us are not rich and only use what power is absolutely necessary we don't need a reminder to do that.

Once the goal of getting everyone to have a meter has been achieved we will see the power companies deciding exactly when we can use power by manipulating the prices and putting up the costs of power at peak times in an attempt to force us to use power at the discretion of the power companies.

The futile excercise of fitting smart meters is going to cost us all around 11 billion pounds , a total waste of money I would say..
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/p...es-you-30.html

Meg, I agree with all that. I will not pay an estimated bill.
I read my gas, water, and electric to make sure my bills are correct.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2016, 06:18 PM

Which reminds me I must check my meters tomorrow thanks..they can stuff their smart metres up their arse!
sawdust
New Member!
Hampshire, uk.
sawdust is male 

10-12-2016, 09:14 PM

I have 2, for my gas meter I have a key that I put £20 each week on and the electric I use a card also put £20.
After this I put the card or key in the meter, it tells me how much credit I have then I press a button and it adds the £20.
I can also see how much a unit I am being charged.
Every 3 to 4 months I receive a voucher for free elec/gas to go on my card or key.
The meters are in a cupboard, we have had them for years now.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2016, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
Which reminds me I must check my meters tomorrow thanks..they can stuff their smart metres up their arse!

Yes, I feel much the same way Rehab.
They have asked me several times already if they can change me over but I've managed to fend them off so far.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK

10-12-2016, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
they can stuff their smart metres up their arse!
Yes indeed.

The problem however is the extent to which the energy companies will penalise you for refusing a smart meter.

Once they change the charging system to different rates at different times of the day, everything will change.

If you don't accept the smart meter at that point then the energy companies will state that they can't get reliable info to know how much to charge you, and as a result they will put you on their top tariff, which is really just a huge blanket charge.

So we will all have to make the difficult choice . . .

Pay more money or damage our health.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2016, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Yes indeed.

The problem however is the extent to which the energy companies will penalise you for refusing a smart meter.

Once they change the charging system to different rates at different times of the day, everything will change.

If you don't accept the smart meter at that point then the energy companies will state that they can't get reliable info to know how much to charge you, and as a result they will put you on their top tariff, which is really just a huge blanket charge.

So we will all have to make the difficult choice . . .

Pay more money or damage our health.
Perhaps, but then we still have the right to change supplier - as often as we like with no penalty - and it is very easy to do. Competition is still the best thing for the consumer.

Page 2 of 18 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top