Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2017, 11:59 PM

Re: Down The Rabbit Hole

Originally Posted by JBR ->
What I found most amazing is that the candles are still burning after all that time.
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2017, 02:08 AM

Fill the bloody thing in. The Templars were fanatical savages.

Can't imagine too many Muslims would celebrate the find.
"Genetic memory" could, in small part, explain some of today's radicals.

Note, I said "explain" - not excuse or justify.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2017, 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by Pumicestone ->
Fill the bloody thing in. The Templars were fanatical savages.

Can't imagine too many Muslims would celebrate the find.
"Genetic memory" could, in small part, explain some of today's radicals.

Note, I said "explain" - not excuse or justify.
Look up Order of Nine Angels on Wikipedia. If you read it all you will see connections.

Here is another picture of the inside of the caves. Looks very much like the 'devil's chair' (and well worn). The caves have been used for Black Magic , but the 'chair' would seem to be a lot older than 20th century carving. There again who knows ? Lots of witches in Shropshire toooooo !

http://www.bbc.co.uk/shropshire/feat...ls_chair.shtml

and this looks like a sacrificial something or other...

JimmyC
Australia
JimmyC is male 

09-03-2017, 06:20 AM

Hmmmmmmmmm................

So, are these existing natural caves which have been enlarged? Or are they "rooms" which have been cut in situ. What rock is that? The walls look fairly vertical, and where they join the floor there's a slight gap, as if they're sitting on the floor.

Hasn't it rained in Shropshire for 700 years? Must have, yet there's no signs of flooding of the "caves", no water stains anywhere, no crumbling, no dark discoloured damp or fungus or mold. If these rooms are only a metre below the surface, how has that metre of topsoil stayed put for 700 years? It's soil which is apparently soft enough for rabbits to dig warrens into. No lintel supports for the "arches"? Why, (and how), would you "carve" arches if you've already carved a "cave"? How do you carve "around" a hole to leave columns and arches behind? Were the columns carved in situ, or placed later? If carved, how did the ceiling stay up while the columns were being carved? If placed later, how do you carve an open space into solid rock while leaving enough rock to act as columns? ? Why does the rock look "polished" and smooth if it's soft enough to be hand carved by 700 year-old tools? And why would you polish it anyway?

I must be missing something.

swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2017, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by JimmyC ->

So, are these existing natural caves which have been enlarged? Or are they "rooms" which have been cut in situ. What rock is that? The walls look fairly vertical, and where they join the floor there's a slight gap, as if they're sitting on the floor.

Hasn't it rained in Shropshire for 700 years? Must have, yet there's no signs of flooding of the "caves", no water stains anywhere, no crumbling, no dark discoloured damp or fungus or mold. If these rooms are only a metre below the surface, how has that metre of topsoil stayed put for 700 years? It's soil which is apparently soft enough for rabbits to dig warrens into. No lintel supports for the "arches"? Why, (and how), would you "carve" arches if you've already carved a "cave"? How do you carve "around" a hole to leave columns and arches behind? Were the columns carved in situ, or placed later? If carved, how did the ceiling stay up while the columns were being carved? If placed later, how do you carve an open space into solid rock while leaving enough rock to act as columns? ? Why does the rock look "polished" and smooth if it's soft enough to be hand carved by 700 year-old tools? And why would you polish it anyway?

I must be missing something.

Hi

Loads of dry caves here in Shropshire, some of them were lived in for several hundred years, until 1930.

Some have been converted recently.

A selection of photos of the caves around Bridgenorth.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=br...w=1280&bih=638
JimmyC
Australia
JimmyC is male 

09-03-2017, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Loads of dry caves here in Shropshire, some of them were lived in for several hundred years, until 1930.

Some have been converted recently.

A selection of photos of the caves around Bridgenorth.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=br...w=1280&bih=638
I stand corrected. So, those "caves" are actually just excavations that have been crudely "renovated" to look like dwellings?

Interesting.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2017, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->

and this looks like a sacrificial something or other...

That's where they would sacrifice the heads of Australians to the God of Donovan.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2017, 12:25 PM

Ha ha !

Pummie could have bought this , for his very own little Hobbit house.

I wonder if all caves led to Rome. Seem to be masses of them around Shropshire and Hertfordshire.

It was up for sale a couple of years ago or more. A work of art.

Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2017, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by JimmyC ->

no signs of flooding of the "caves

would you "carve" arches if you've already carved a "cave"?

How do you carve "around" a hole to leave columns and arches behind? I must be missing something.
You echoed all of my thoughts there Jimmy. Something just looks off with the whole thing. If that's hard rock then it makes no sense. Hard rock would have taken literally years and years to slowly chip away and excavate back then and every wall would surely have chisel marks much like mill stones.

It would have been back-breaking endless work just to progress 1 meter in so as you say, why would anyone bother excavating a an arched recess for decoration when you've spent years excavating a workable passage?

If the rock isn't hard but more sandy then why would you excavate most of it leaving a few columns and risk the whole thing collapsing?

The fact that this is supposed to be just 1 meter "underground" leads me to believe it wasn't underground at all but rather a construction above ground that was subsequently buried. However the pillars don't look like your average construction. They are not "bricks" or stones.

Neither are the columns stalactites or stalagmites that have grown naturally.

As you say, something is off here, but without actually being there and feeling the "rock" surface and seeing whether it's rock hard or muddy/clay etc one can't make a judgement.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2017, 12:50 PM

I take it back. Looking at the pictures on the Metro site again it very clearly IS a construction. The walls and pillars ARE made of "bricks" or stones. You can clearly see the various horizontal lines of each brick course.

So yes, I'm saying this was an above ground temple of some sort which was later buried naturally or deliberately. Probably the latter in order to allow the temple users to continue in secret.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top