Join for free
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2017, 10:57 PM

Banana Bread - variations on a theme

I've been making lots of banana bread the last few weeks and it's amazing how much you can alter the underlying ingredients and still end up with something perfectly yummy.

I've been trying to make it healthier. So I've reduced the sugar to hardly any, substituted the sugar that was in it with ground almonds and then reduced a third of the butter to substitute with olive oil. I've also added some vanilla essence, toasted pine nuts (tricky to not burn the blighters) and for sweetness some raisins.

I'm thinking of adding some grated carrots & some grated orange zest next time to give it more of your five a day! Great way to use up ripe bananas.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2017, 05:50 AM

Re: Banana Bread - variations on a theme

Like your way of thinking...
I enjoy adapting recipes to suit myself too.

My banana bread is made with honey and oil (replacing butter) because my daughter is lactose intolerant.

Intrested to hear how the carrots work.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2017, 08:42 AM

Sounds lovely wil have to hide some bananas to let them get over ripe, they disappear here so quick I never get a chance to cook with them
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2017, 09:44 PM

Aren't bananas high (ish) in sugar ?

Years ago, my secretary's mother in law, a Caribbean lady, bought in a west Indian version of banana loaf. I can still taste it now - delicious....
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2017, 10:30 AM

Bananas are slow release on the glycemic index so banana bread with reduced refined sugar should be good for maintaining stable sugar levels. I am making one today as I have some ripe bananas. Plan to add some grated carrots and see how that turns out!
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2017, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Bananas are slow release on the glycemic index so banana bread with reduced refined sugar should be good for maintaining stable sugar levels. I am making one today as I have some ripe bananas. Plan to add some grated carrots and see how that turns out!
How did that turn out?

I do make banana bread with chocolate chips in it for Mr Missys lunch box but I do worry about the amount of sugar
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2017, 09:47 AM

I like banana bread too I bought some the other day with Chia which is quite nice too.

However my favourite by a long way is Carrot Cake. Here's one I prepared earlier:

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-07-12 14.23.45.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	3906  
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2017, 10:00 AM

I made a peanut butter and banana bread the other day that was pretty good, can't give a recipe I just chucked it all in. Reduced the fat content a bit as the peanut butter was a bit greasy. Sometimes I find making peanut butter it goes a little greasier than others.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top