Join for free
Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2017, 01:19 PM

Re: Sat Navs or knowledge?

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
Apparently, and don't quote me on this, but if you are lost, find a Boy Scout, ex, or otherwise, throw him to the ground and his head will always point North.
Originally Posted by Purwell ->
Moss will be growing on the North cheek of his bum, so need to chuck him about.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2017, 01:21 PM

The only time I had a problem with my SatNav was when we first moved to our new address and were trying to find our way home. It kept telling me to go in completely the wrong direction. It was a while before I realised I had not changed my home address.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2017, 01:37 PM

Apparently, and don't quote me on this, but if you are lost, find a Boy Scout, ex, or otherwise, throw him to the ground and his head will always point North.
I tried that with an old Brownie.....everything was heading south.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2017, 01:51 PM

NOW you tell me Rehab!
Wish I'd have known that last week trying to get to Solihull.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2017, 02:39 PM

@ Purwell
I had never noticed that, but thanks for the heads up
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2017, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
NOW you tell me Rehab!
Wish I'd have known that last week trying to get to Solihull.
There you go....be prepared, always always carry a Boy Scout in your boot.
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2017, 08:52 AM

As an ex professional London taxi driver, I had the knowledge. But being gadget mad, I had to get one as my mate had one. It was the early TomTom shortly after they came out.
I learnt to never trust it, as it only knew mini cab routes.
Example. I had a job from Waterloo station to Wandsworth. It is a straight run. York road, Lambeth palace road, Albert embankment, Wandsworth road.
As I approached the roundabout at the end of York road it told me to turn left into Westminster bridge road. WHAT!. Later after ignoring that it then told me to turn right over Lambeth bridge. WHAT AGAIN!.
The only thing it was good for was finding locations in industrial estates when it said "Arriving at destination".
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil

15-05-2017, 09:56 AM

I watched the programme on tv called The Knowledge, all about what it takes to get your licence. I was amazed at what was required so I have one word for you Emjay..RESPECT,
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2017, 10:26 AM

I watched the programme on tv called The Knowledge, all about what it takes to get your licence. I was amazed at what was required so I have one word for you Emjay..RESPECT,
If that was the latest version that was shown recently, when I did it it was nothing like that.
I got my 'Bill and badge' in March 15th 1962.
There was no ceremony. Just paid my 3 shillings through the hatch and the documents and brass badge were passed back to me.
The 'dungeon' in the basement of 109 Lambeth Rd, where the PCO (Public carriage office was) is another story.
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2017, 03:19 PM

SatNav is OK, but doesn't always tell you crucial info on your route. My mother used the SatNav to travel a route in the countryside and it failed to warn her that the road it selected had 3 river fords on it, one of which was exited by a steep, uphill, hairpin bend!

Use them but never fully trust a SatNav on new routes.

Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top