Nottingham
Jennifer123 is female 

23-06-2017, 08:18 AM

Re: I have another very hungry fox!

Thank you for caring.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2017, 09:05 AM

For all who are interested in my fox, especially Tiff who was right about the cubs. She arrived last night with them and left them in the nearby long grass. I couldn't see them but you would have had to be deaf not to hear them.

I used a steel bowl, which was still there this morning, so I am wondering if it may be the cubs that are stealing the plastic bowls

I think that I will get round worm tablets, to put in their food, but I won't dispense them, to the fox, until I have managed to get some advice on how safe it is to give her pills when she still has young.

To them, I am nothing more that a waitress, but I get great joy from knowing that I may be making their life a bit easier.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2017, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
For all who are interested in my fox, especially Tiff who was right about the cubs. She arrived last night with them and left them in the nearby long grass. I couldn't see them but you would have had to be deaf not to hear them.

I used a steel bowl, which was still there this morning, so I am wondering if it may be the cubs that are stealing the plastic bowls

I think that I will get round worm tablets, to put in their food, but I won't dispense them, to the fox, until I have managed to get some advice on how safe it is to give her pills when she still has young.

To them, I am nothing more that a waitress, but I get great joy from knowing that I may be making their life a bit easier.
If they came with her this time they could be old enough to be on some solid food, be careful, you may be feeding several before you know it & regularly as they'll get used to you providing food for them.

I had a friend with a foxes den under his shed, the vixen had cubs several times & he used to feed them too, they took over his garden, which was large & his kids & the foxes were out playing in it. His kids were taught not to go close, touch or pet the foxes or even talk to to them, but my friend did take a lot of photo's of the foxes in the garden with the kids there.
The young ones did leave the area, but the vixen always came back to have her next litter under the shed, it turned into a way of life for my friend & a very expensive one too.
He did get some lovely photo's though as the foxes were not too wary of any of the humans.
We lost touch so I have no idea if he still has foxes.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2017, 12:16 PM

Thanks Tiff, but I am not worried because it has happened 3 times over the last 15 years and I only feed them till the cubs are big enough to look after themselves and Mum is looking a bit fatter. They just get a large tin of cheap dog food, any cat food leftovers, my leftovers and some bread but I refuse to feed them continuously because the young would never learn how to feed themselves.
My cats are very fussy, so the birds get their leftovers and bread too... but the fox comes to lick the bowls clean at night.
I would hate to take their independence, but I just like to help out when they are hungry.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2017, 12:29 PM

How do your cats get on with the foxes Twink?
I opened my front door to let Gypsy out one morning and a fox was just about to jump into my garden over the wall. Gypsy went straight for him and chased him away!
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England

23-06-2017, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
I opened my front door to let Gypsy out one morning and a fox was just about to jump into my garden over the wall. Gypsy went straight for him and chased him away!
My cats will sit in the garden when the foxes are there, but not close. It doesn't happen often because the foxes prefer to come at night, so their youngsters can keep me awake with the noise they make!
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2017, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Thanks Tiff, but I am not worried because it has happened 3 times over the last 15 years and I only feed them till the cubs are big enough to look after themselves and Mum is looking a bit fatter. They just get a large tin of cheap dog food, any cat food leftovers, my leftovers and some bread but I refuse to feed them continuously because the young would never learn how to feed themselves.
My cats are very fussy, so the birds get their leftovers and bread too... but the fox comes to lick the bowls clean at night.
I would hate to take their independence, but I just like to help out when they are hungry.

Yes I did think my friend was a bit foolish. He made a rod for his own back, though his photo's were amazing. Cubs playing in the background while he & his kids were doing things in the garden. Foxes walking through shots of his flowers. He did have the lair in his garden though.
You are more sensible. Do you know where your foxes den is?
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England

23-06-2017, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
Yes I did think my friend was a bit foolish. He made a rod for his own back, though his photo's were amazing. Cubs playing in the background while he & his kids were doing things in the garden. Foxes walking through shots of his flowers. He did have the lair in his garden though.
You are more sensible. Do you know where your foxes den is?
I suspect it is in the small wood that is next to the paddock... but I no longer have the horses here.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2017, 04:17 PM

One of my elderly neighbours, who has died now, but I used to go and help her out with cleaning and cooking, she used to always feed the Foxes and Badgers, but she always left her street door open during the day, so that neighbours can come in and see her. One day I went to see her and there laying on her sofa was a Fox, didn't take any notice of me walking in, she just carried on sleeping, I said Betty did you know you have a fox on your Sofa, oh yes she said, she just had a bowl of food, now she is going to have a nap.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2017, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
One of my cats once did that, I'm not sure what would have happened if the fox had stopped and turned around.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top