Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2017, 07:44 PM

India bans plastics in capital

India has banned all disposable plastics in its capital .
This is a great step forward
Plastics from third world countries contribute hugely to the pollution of the oceans

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2017/...ampaign=buffer
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2017, 04:05 AM

Re: India bans plastics in capital

Good on them.

Our Coles and Woolworths supermarkets have just announced that they will phase out single use plastic bags over the next 12 months.

Woollies alone supply 3.2 billion bags per year.

NT, SA, Tassie and ACT have already introduced bans and Queensland has one starting next year so it will only affect NSW, WA and Victoria.

This decision will put pressure on both the Federal and remaining state governments to legislate a ban on these bags. It was pressure from these same supermarkets that stopped a ban being imposed in the most populous states years ago.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-07-1...ountry/8709336

(and yes, we know the US/UK FW Woolworths closed years ago, we are talking about the wholly Australian owned company)
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2017, 07:00 AM

We have to pay for plastic bags here in the UK -at last so more people use their own bags .
The money goes to charity .
But even here we're are drowning in plastic .
poohdog
Nottinghamshire UK
poohdog is male  poohdog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2017, 08:10 AM

Most goods arrive at the shops in cardboard...they are removed and the boxes collapsed in the back of the shop.

Why don't more make space near the checkouts for empty boxes?....Now I know some shops do this....but not enough...The customer has a handy container to transport the goods home...and the boxes finish up in a recycle bin anyway.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

17-07-2017, 08:26 AM

I know I have had this argument with shops on various occasions .
I supose they look untidy .
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2017, 10:04 AM

I can't understand why the shops don't supply paper bags like they do in the US. It also worries me that a lot of people make a living from sorting the plastics in India, what will happen to them when plastic is banned.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

17-07-2017, 01:56 PM

They will sort something else .
Do we really want people rutting around on the filth of stinking rubbish heaps ?
Bruv
Kent UK
Bruv is male  Bruv has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2017, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by poohdog ->
Most goods arrive at the shops in cardboard...they are removed and the boxes collapsed in the back of the shop.
Why don't more make space near the checkouts for empty boxes?
It would take up a hell of a lot of room..........and be a fire risk ?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

18-07-2017, 05:53 AM

The fire risk is minimum as most things in a supermarket are a fire risk !
It just looks messy and as you say takes up room.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2017, 06:07 AM

There used to always be boxes available in some supermarkets but that seems to have disappeared over the years probably because they look unsightly.

I think though that now we are all more clued up on the environment far from being unsightly it would be an asset, I would use them, mind you I do anything not to use a carrier, I take my own bags these days but it makes sense to reuse cardboard.

I'm all for a ban on plastic, well done India!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top