Join for free
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 > Last »
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2017, 09:59 PM

The Tax Trap

Is this right ?
Someone with good maths skills needed
basically its saying that a family with two children earning min wage in London is almost as well off a family with two children earning £70k pa.

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2017/0...m-wage-family/
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2017, 10:12 PM

Re: The Tax Trap

I know it's already crossed your mind, but just in case it hasn't, don't ask Diane Abbott, other than that I am clueless.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2017, 07:37 AM

I can't really get my head around all the figures but I am not surprised . Something else to think about is , if a couple have kids only one parent has to work 16 hours (only) a week , this 16 hours entitles them to all the benefits going . This is if they are renting a property not if they are buying
Leia
UK
Leia is female  Leia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2017, 07:46 AM

Also families are working the minimum number of hours to maximise benefits. Why wouldn't families want to spend more time at home with the children these days! I used to be a manager and if I asked a particular single mother if she'd work some extra hours for me, she'd reach for the calculator before giving me an answer.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2017, 07:57 AM

All I remember if my poor father working every hour God made ,doing shifts in. Atedious job in order to support us. My mother never worked and we got no benefits.
Leia
UK
Leia is female  Leia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2017, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
All I remember if my poor father working every hour God made ,doing shifts in. Atedious job in order to support us. My mother never worked and we got no benefits.
This is what annoys me, my husband used to work four night shifts Monday to Friday then Saturday morning and all day Sunday were overtime, so he worked seven days a week. We had to decide if we could afford to have any more children as we were buying our home and interest rates were sky high in the seventies.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2017, 08:23 AM

The 16 hours figure has IMO ruined many peoples work ethic. Yes I agree anyone would like to be home more but only working 16 hours and getting more money than someone working 60 can't be right.

I've had colleagues hand in their notice when their hours have gone up so they can find a job with less hours to get their benefit. That wasn't the idea behind the top up benefits at all.

Also seems odd if you work 15 hours a week you don't even get SSP or pay ni so you forfeit all benefits.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2017, 08:29 AM

Hi

The ones on Benefits need more.

UJ and Julie say so.
Leia
UK

22-07-2017, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
The 16 hours figure has IMO ruined many peoples work ethic. Yes I agree anyone would like to be home more but only working 16 hours and getting more money than someone working 60 can't be right.

I've had colleagues hand in their notice when their hours have gone up so they can find a job with less hours to get their benefit. That wasn't the idea behind the top up benefits at all.

Also seems odd if you work 15 hours a week you don't even get SSP or pay ni so you forfeit all benefits.
Spot on Julie.

As a manager I only had a set number of hours to allocate and had one member of staff on fifteen hours. It meant she didn't get the Working Tax Credits she desperately needed. She asked for one more hour which I couldn't add to her contract so I would give her overtime when I could.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2017, 08:34 AM

Sometime the numbers don't mean anything, the fact that folks from a diverse financial background, coexist in a geographical area says more than the numbers, the important fact is, all the sections form a society.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top