Join for free
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2017, 04:39 PM

Anyone Using A Water Distiller?

Just curious to know if anyone here produced their own pure water by distilling tap water. If so what equipment do they use and what are the running costs ?
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2017, 02:00 PM

Re: Anyone Using A Water Distiller?

We don't distill but we have is a water deironiser which fits under the sink. The iron blocks in the container only need changing every 6 months.

So do you mean one of these?

as for cost similar to ours and yes you can taste the difference to an extent

link
http://www.diy.com/departments/bayha...t/34814_BQ.prd
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2017, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
So do you mean one of these?
No sorry, I DO very much mean a distiller.

That means a device which takes your tap water, boils it up, collects the steam and then condenses that steam back to water which leaves al the impurities back in the boiling tank. The purest water you can make.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2017, 07:11 AM

Hi

The Bayhall is an activated carbon filter, as such it will only remove certain contaminants and it will remove the chlorine in the water.

It's design life is based on averages, so if your water supply has a higher than average amount of chlorine etc it will last much less time.

Chlorine gases off after a few minutes anyway.

There are many grades of activated carbon, varying from very good to crap, they are priced accordingly.

The Maximum flow rates specified are again for average water and are invariably optimistic, the filter deteriorates as soon as you start using it as it's absorptive capacity is taken up, so you need to run it much slower as it ages.

There is a direct correlation between how fast the flow is and how efficient the filter is, the water has to be in contact with the carbon for a minimum period of time to reduce contaminants, chemical reactions are not instantaneous.

If your water supply is acidic or you live in an area with a high level of lead service pipes, your water will be most likely dosed with phosphates to reduce lead contamination.

Absolutely pure water is tasteless and not actually very good for you, all the trace elements which are essential for our bodies are removed.

You can test the purity of your water using a TDS Meter, they are cheap, only £25 and easily recalibrated.

My tap water is horrendous, a TDS of 454 on average, where I lived before it was 108 on average.

I keep marine fish and corals, which are very finicky about water quality, so I have a system which produces pure water to which I then add marine salt to provide the essential trace elements.

UK tap water is safe to drink, but the quality of it is much lower than in many developed nations.

It has decreased significantly since OFWAT decided to fine Water Companies for the amount of water they were losing through the mains.

The idea was to force them to upgrade the mains water supply pipes.

Instead they just reduced the pressure in the mains, allowing more contaminants to seep in.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top