Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2017, 01:26 PM

Got the hump

Dangerous or daft to remove speed humps, never thought they were a good idea.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2017, 02:29 PM

Re: Got the hump

Our roads are so narrow and the way the cars park, it make you slow down anyway. So we have our own speed control in place and always have lol.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2017, 02:36 PM

I think they get on most people's nerves Cinders.
Someone said on here a week or so back that councils were being asked to remove them, but I bet they say they haven't got the funds.

It annoys me most when as Roxy has just said, people park awkwardly and you cannot get your wheels central on the humps properly. (I'm talking about the big square ones, not the ridge across the road type).

The roads seem full of either humps or pot holes nowadays - often both.

Round here, the councils seemed to have stopped cutting grass verges too. There is a big roundabout off a slip road near me, and you can't see what is coming round the bend because of the waist-high grass.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2017, 12:44 AM

Could it be something to do with the promise of electric cars, in the not so distant future ? I don't believe it's anything to do with emission, when we see the number of traffic lights and crossings that have been put up in the last number of years. (they have around here. 26 sets of lights in 5 miles, the council must have got a job lot) The emission being given off in those queues must be massive in comparison .
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2017, 10:47 AM

Some good points made here, just checked on local council web site, we have one (ev)charging point about 2 miles away. The three mile journey to town 5 sets of lights, and two pedestrian crossings. Plus 3 sets to go around one-way system.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2017, 09:04 AM

Our road is a rat run - used by commuters as a cut through between the A4/M4 and The North Circular. As a result, some 18 years ago the council introduced "traffic calming" measures - chicanes with twin speed bumps. For a competent driver, this doesn't slow anyone down at all. What it has done, however, is remove at least 6 parking spaces per chicane. As a result, with 8 chicanes in the road, that is some 48 parking spaces lost. As a consequence, parking in our road has become a bit of a nightmare. If the council had not wasted money on the expensive and, ultimately pointless chicanes and instead introduced the old fashioned square profile "sleeping policemen" which shake the teeth out of your head and damage your suspension if you go over them at speed, the whole job could have been done at a fraction of the cost and, much more effectively.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2017, 09:06 AM

I can't get over the cost of them and now they want to remove them ! What a waste and we have people living in dire conditions because of cuts.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2017, 09:08 AM

I think speed bumps are a good idea, as they tend to slow traffic in busy areas, its is crazy to remove them.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2017, 09:51 AM

I would rather see more speed hump and larger at that. Which is more important a kiddie being killed by a car travelling to fast, or a car that gets body damage by hitting a speed hump too fast.
Its a no brainer
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2017, 09:59 AM

The only problem I have with them is ambulances can't safely carry people over them, they worry everytime a neck or back injury could paralyse a patient.

I agree saving lives is important but it's a shame we can't do that without endangering patients being carried in ambulances.

I wonder if technology couldn't be used, limit car speeds to speed limits ? That would negate the need for any physical lumps and bumps.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top