Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2017, 06:36 PM

Japanese Food

Knew nothing about making and eating Tofu, but watched a fascinating docu on NHK TV channel this morning from Kyoto. Anyone eat tofu ? Watch the video.

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/tv/
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2017, 07:38 AM

Re: Japanese Food

Since visiting Japan on holiday a few years ago, my hubby has taken an interest in making us Japanese meals. He puts tofu into Miso Soup, I'm not too keen on it really, It doesn't taste of much and has a consistency of set blancmange! He does however, make some excellent Sushi.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2017, 07:47 AM

Hi

My son has a fascination for Oriental Ladies, hence his move to Taiwan.

He had a Chinese partner for years here, they bought a house together in Bristol.

Sne used to make here own Tofu, it is incredibly easy to make, and then used to marinate it in all sorts of different flavours.

I love the stuff.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2017, 12:02 PM

I like Japanese food but have never tried Tofu - yet !
basser
Chatterbox
ENGLAND
basser is male  basser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2017, 12:29 PM

Tried it years ago UUURGH......Never again...
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2017, 12:45 PM

I don't know anything about Tofu. My SIL uses it in vegetarian dishes but having had a nibble of some recently, I'm afraid I spat it back into a tissue and it went in the bin. YUK

However, I do have the utmost admiration for those that eat Sushi. I know I never could unless I was starving to death and that is all there was to survive. It's obviously an age thing with me but the mere thought of eating raw fish makes me feel queasy.

God bless the Japanese though for inventing the lovely, light Tempura Batter. I use it so many times when making dishes.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2017, 01:11 PM

I do use it but not so much these days because since rest of family joined me as a veggie they do turn their nose up at some of the foods I used to eat.

It's quite nice in a salad I find.
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2017, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
I don't know anything about Tofu. My SIL uses it in vegetarian dishes but having had a nibble of some recently, I'm afraid I spat it back into a tissue and it went in the bin. YUK

However, I do have the utmost admiration for those that eat Sushi. I know I never could unless I was starving to death and that is all there was to survive. It's obviously an age thing with me but the mere thought of eating raw fish makes me feel queasy.

God bless the Japanese though for inventing the lovely, light Tempura Batter. I use it so many times when making dishes.
Don't you eat smoked salmon shroppy? It's often found in sushi. I agree with you about Tempura Batter, it's very good.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2017, 01:48 PM

I think panko breadcrumbs are Japanese too I use them a lot.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2017, 02:22 PM

Not all Sushi is made from raw fish. Sushimi is - some of that is nice.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top