Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2017, 10:00 PM

Windows File History

I've never been to sure about Windows File History.

I was under the impression that this new improvement on Backup and Restore, was an improvement. Perhaps it is. Perhaps it is I who am not using it properly.

I have been using FH for months now but this last backup didn't seem to work properly.

Having added some new files and new folders recently, I ran File History which I thought did incremental backups. Afterwards, when I looked at what was on the external hard drive, some obvious recent files were not there.

Why?

I decided to format the external hard drive and start again.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2017, 12:24 AM

Re: Windows File History

Ever since I installed Windows 10, File History has never worked properly for me (and thousands of others worldwide).

In my case, File History just wouldn't do as I asked, meaning that I couldn't trust it. I went back to Windows 7 Backup for a while then opted to purchase fully functional Macrium Reflect:

https://www.macrium.com/products/home

There is a limited function version which I use for my secondary PC:

https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2017, 01:07 AM

Bit long winded but you could do copy and paste from one drive to other
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2017, 07:18 AM

It's something I've never set up because I manually back up created files such as photos and written documents to another disk. Photos and other pictures (optimised for web display) are also stored on hosting sites.

I keep disk images made with Backup and Restore (Windows 7), and EaseUS ToDo. These back up the entire working system to another disk and can be used to overwrite a faulty system with a good one. Not only that but individual files can be extracted from disk images if needs be, so they can double up as a file store as well.

All in all, I've never needed File History. I suppose I ought to try it sometime to see what happens.
Fogey
Shropshire
Fogey is male  Fogey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2017, 08:20 AM

I use AOMEI Backupper.

There is a free version that allows incremental back-ups to the initial mirror image.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2017, 08:32 AM

I have been using Backup and Restore (W7) on one external hard drive and File History on a second one.
I also have a system image on each of these. Belt and braces!

The trouble is, which can I trust? Can I trust either?

Yes, I have tried AOMEI in the past, but I am concerned that in order to restore anything (a complete system image) I'd have to download the software again.
Fogey
Shropshire
Fogey is male  Fogey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2017, 09:07 AM

I don't understand why should you be concerned?

Historically, Microsoft hasn't got a good record of stability when it comes to new roll-outs of Windows features. I would have thought that a reliable back up program is a must, considering Microsoft's inherent unreliability.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

08-08-2017, 09:56 AM

This is ridiculous.
I have just done a backup using Backup and Restore.
When I had a look to see what was on the backup, I can find only three folders: Desktop, Downloads and Favorites. Even when I look in the folder 'Documents', only those three folders appear.

And that's after the best part of an hour's backing up.

Microsoft appears to be getting worse. Time I went for a third party backup programme.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

08-08-2017, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Ever since I installed Windows 10, File History has never worked properly for me (and thousands of others worldwide).

In my case, File History just wouldn't do as I asked, meaning that I couldn't trust it. I went back to Windows 7 Backup for a while then opted to purchase fully functional Macrium Reflect:

https://www.macrium.com/products/home

There is a limited function version which I use for my secondary PC:

https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree
Is this full version a one-off payment (just under £50), or is that for a year and you need to keep paying?

How about the 'free' version, is that a trial which expires and then you have to pay?
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2017, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Is this full version a one-off payment (just under £50), or is that for a year and you need to keep paying?

How about the 'free' version, is that a trial which expires and then you have to pay?
IIRC, a one-off payment is for a "Version" - updates are free. An upgrade to the latest "Version" has to be purchased, albeit at a discount - I have not bothered upgrading because there were no significant advantages being offered.

The current free "Version" seems to be free forever. There is an upgrade to the free version due soon which may affect that situation.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top