Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2017, 11:42 AM

Re: Windows File History

Thanks Omah.
I've just downloaded and registered the free version, and created a 'restore thing' on to a USB memory stick.
I now find that the free version doesn't support file and folder backups!
So I'm back to step 1.

Perhaps I should just do as Realspeed suggested and forget backups and just copy and paste files from C: to my external hard drive!

I have next to no knowledge of backing up, cloning, imaging, etc - these are just words to me.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2017, 12:40 PM

Yes, I've done that. I copied my folders:

DESKTOP
DOCUMENTS
DOWNLOADS
MUSIC
PICTURES
VIDEOS

by simply dragging each folder from C: to R: (one of my external hard discs).

The whole thing took just over 20 minutes, which is a lot quicker than going through either of the Windows backup options.

Of course, I realise that not everything has been backed up, but Windows and all my software can be reinstalled from the Windows re-installation folder and the other software discs I have.

As for the Macrium software I downloaded, I don't understand any of it because I'm a little thick!

Just to add, as there is no incremental backup in doing things this way, I have created folders named as above in both Dropbox and OneDrive. Anything new, I shall copy in those so that every so often I can copy these to the appropriate folders on the external hard drive.

Much easier for a simple person like me!
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2017, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Yes, I've done that. I copied my folders:

DESKTOP
DOCUMENTS
DOWNLOADS
MUSIC
PICTURES
VIDEOS

by simply dragging each folder from C: to R: (one of my external hard discs).

The whole thing took just over 20 minutes, which is a lot quicker than going through either of the Windows backup options.

Of course, I realise that not everything has been backed up, but Windows and all my software can be reinstalled from the Windows re-installation folder and the other software discs I have.

As for the Macrium software I downloaded, I don't understand any of it because I'm a little thick!

Just to add, as there is no incremental backup in doing things this way, I have created folders named as above in both Dropbox and OneDrive. Anything new, I shall copy in those so that every so often I can copy these to the appropriate folders on the external hard drive.

Much easier for a simple person like me!
I was going to suggest installing MS SyncToy, which does not support multiple copies but which transfers only updated files at folder level.

However, it is most useful for large data transfers - I use it for my 50,000 MP3 files (300GB) - Synctoy will check locally and across my local network and transfer only those files which have been updated (e.g. played or had details amended).

Nevertheless, you may want to check it out, since it can be set on an automatic schedule .....

..... but it's fiddly process to set up and easy to get wrong (as I found out ..... ).
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

08-08-2017, 01:43 PM

Thanks Omah, but I don't do 'fiddly', as I'm rather thick!

(I'm still waiting for someone to assure me that I'm not! )
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2017, 04:26 PM

Thanks Omah, but I don't do 'fiddly', as I'm rather thick!

(I'm still waiting for someone to assure me that I'm not! )
Of course you're not! ..going to be assured (only joking )

It's not being thick JBR, just unfamiliarity with the procedure and benefits of disk imaging if you haven't used it before. It can cause a bit of uncertainly initially but things rarely go wrong.

The good part about disk images is that you don't have to reinstall everything. It can take a day or more to reinstall the OS, programs and get things how you want them. Using a previously made disk image, the job takes about 30 minutes (depending on the size of the backed-up system and speed of the computer).

The disk image contains the entire system complete with your installed programs, settings and customisations made. Also your documents, music files, photos etc. will be just in the position they were in on the date the image was made.

The brave part comes in actually using a disk image to restore a faulty system. If you haven't done it before, there can be moments when there's a worry it won't work. I once had a disk image that didn't work but that was about it. I've restored the system from disk images lots of times and that was the only failure.

Once was enough though and that's why I keep a disk image made with Windows' own disk imaging function and one made with 'EaseUS ToDo'. Images don't get used so much these days because I don't play around with computers and Windows software like I once did. Nonetheless, they are there if needed and I wouldn't be without them.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

08-08-2017, 07:00 PM

Thank you for your assurance, Mart! And, yes, of course the truth is that I am unfamiliar with the business of backing up.

I can see that a 'System Image' (if I've got that right) is an important thing to have in case of a disaster. I have one, just done today and yesterday, on each of my external hard drives. I'd like to think that if my laptop does go belly up I can just restore everything from one of those.

I assume that it is only necessary to do a system image if important changes have been made to installed software.

I assume that more frequent backups should be done of files and folders, and for that reason I have a File History backup on one hard drive, which I shall try to update regularly. With File History, I believe that it is just a matter of plugging in the hard drive (USB) and the software will add new additions to the backup automatically, although I have my doubts now since I noticed (as I mentioned above) that some recent files were not there after the last File History update.

On the other hard drive I used to use Windows Backup and Restore but, as I mentioned, this didn't seem to work. I had selected the 'Let Windows decide' option whereas in the past I had opted for choosing the folders I wanted backing up. Why one should work and the other not, I have no idea. Nevertheless, I have now just copied by 'drag and drop' from my folders to equivalent folders on the external hard drive.

Whenever I create or change any file, I'll copy that to OneDrive and Dropbox until I can copy that to the folders on the external hard drive.

At least I understand those simple concepts!

Sorry for the lengthy epistle!
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2017, 08:40 PM

Sorry for the lengthy epistle!
Describing details is always lengthy.

It sounds as if you are pretty well catered for as regards the back up of your files. The disk image is only handy for if disaster strikes (a messed up system for one reason or another), or for if any software is installed as a trial but subsequently not wanted. Make a disk image before any major changes to the system are made and then there's always a quick way back if anything too major goes amiss.

Some software, especially security programs, can be a job to get rid of down to the last file or Registry entry. If the system is overwritten with a previously made disk image, that software will be truly gone from the system.

Those are the circumstances where I might use a disk image.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

08-08-2017, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
Describing details is always lengthy.

It sounds as if you are pretty well catered for as regards the back up of your files. The disk image is only handy for if disaster strikes (a messed up system for one reason or another), or for if any software is installed as a trial but subsequently not wanted. Make a disk image before any major changes to the system are made and then there's always a quick way back if anything too major goes amiss.

Some software, especially security programs, can be a job to get rid of down to the last file or Registry entry. If the system is overwritten with a previously made disk image, that software will be truly gone from the system.

Those are the circumstances where I might use a disk image.
Thanks. I feel happier now doing what I'm doing.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2017, 11:33 PM

Before Windows 10, all I had to do was create a system image once a week or before a major change and leave File History do the rest - now, backups are (relatively) complicated and expensive .....
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

08-08-2017, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Before Windows 10, all I had to do was create a system image once a week or before a major change and leave File History do the rest - now, backups are (relatively) complicated and expensive .....
Expensive?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top