Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2017, 04:03 PM

Contaminated eggs

Did anyone see on the news yesterday about these imported eggs from the Netherlands possibly containing insecticide?

First thing came to my mind was if this was known about back in June, why has it only just been made public in August?

Secondly, why do we import eggs when we have our own poultry industry anyway?

The insecticide they are on about is Fipronil, which is used in dogs flea treatments like Frontline.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7879131.html
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2017, 04:07 PM

Re: Contaminated eggs

How does an egg get infected?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2017, 04:10 PM

The only two ways I can think of ruthio, is either through their feed or water, or the birds themselves have been treated for mites externally, and it then gets absorbed through their skin.

With most poultry treatments as far as I know, there is an 'Egg withdrawal' time which should be obeyed.

This means eggs should not be used for human consumption until this withdrawal period has elapsed.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2017, 04:11 PM

I can't say in this case Ruthio but if you put an egg in a box with an onion or cheese the egg will absorb the flavour and smell of the onion or cheese. I think they are quite easy to infiltrate.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2017, 04:13 PM

I see, so the chicken gets infected and then it gets passed on to the egg?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

08-08-2017, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I can't say in this case Ruthio but if you put an egg in a box with an onion or cheese the egg will absorb the flavour and smell of the onion or cheese. I think they are quite easy to infiltrate.

But they are hardly likely to put millions of eggs in boxes with chemicals Julie.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2017, 04:15 PM

Yes the Belgians supplied a treatment for bloodmite in chickens to Dutch poultry farmers who used it thinking it was ok.Turns out is isnt.
The fiprinol has got into the eggs and could cause stomach upsets or possible sickness in elderly or young children.
The Belgians have known since June the Dutch since last week or so when they started issuing warnings and clearing the shelves of any eggs with certain batch numbers.

Relatively speaking if you treat your pet with fiprinol for fleas stroke your dog/cat and then eat something without washing your hands youve ingested more fiprinol that you would via the eggs..

Bear in mind it isnt all eggs and bear a thought for the chickens, over 300,000 have been slaughtered because they have been contaminated.
All because humans got greedy ...

This is a list of all the known code that are contaminated..
The x at the front could be any type of egg 0 1 or 2 the last two xx stand for the stall which isnt of any importance here the imporatant bit is in the middle which is the 5 digit bit..

List 1 is eggs advised not to eat
list 2 is advised not for children to eat
List 3 are companies where Fiprinol has been detected
If your eggs dont have any one of these codes they are safe to eat...

https://www.nvwa.nl/onderwerpen/bioc...en/eicodelijst
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

08-08-2017, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
I see, so the chicken gets infected and then it gets passed on to the egg?

Yes.
It is the same with our milk. Whatever the cow/sheep/goat eats will be go through and can flavour the milk.

Isn't it the same with nursing human mothers?
Don't they have to be careful what medications they take if they are breast feeding?

Just seen Cass's post and it seems it was as I said, the birds were treated for mites and the chemical goes through their system.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK

08-08-2017, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Yes.
It is the same with our milk. Whatever the cow/sheep/goat eats will be go through and can flavour the milk.

Isn't it the same with nursing human mothers?
Don't they have to be careful what medications they take if they are breast feeding?
Yes!!
Eat curry and you get babies with projectile poo!!!
Don't tell Myrtle
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2017, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
But they are hardly likely to put millions of eggs in boxes with chemicals Julie.
I wouldn't like to say mups but I was just pointing out they are easily contaminated. Very porous.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top