Join for free
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2017, 12:52 PM

Look Out! Trouble at' Mill.

Controversy As A Pasty Triumphs At The Annual Pie Awards.

It is a controversial decision, likely to cause consternation among pie and pasty connoisseurs the length and breadth of the country, even prompting talk of a boycott.

But a pasty has won the coveted top prize at this year’s British Pie Awards for the first time, beating 815 other entries to take home the title of Supreme Champion.

The Beef Skirt & Vegetable Pasty, lovingly created by the family-run A.F. Huddleston Butchers in the Lake District, was said to have had the judges mouth watering with its even bake, glaze and flavours.

Matthew O’Callaghan, chairman of the British Pie Awards and Melton Mowbray Pork Pie Association, acknowledged that the decision to award the prestigious trophy to a pasty would fuel debate about the difference between a pasty and a pie.

“I know many will be surprised to see a pasty winning the British Pie Awards, but the definition of a pie is a filling totally encased in pastry” he said. “Pies come in all shapes including round pies, square pie and pasties. A pasty is simply a subsection of a pie”.
“The difference between the two is all in the structure” he said.

Pasties tend to be defined as a singular, folded pastry case with a crimped lid and a savoury filling, typically of seasoned meat and vegetables
Pies, on the other hand, traditionally have a base and sides and a separate lid. A pie is defined by the Oxford English Dictionary as “a baked dish of fruit, or meat and vegetables, typically with a top and base of pastry”.

This definition is taken extremely seriously at the annual British Pie Awards, Anyone attempting to sneak in an entry with a potato or a meringue lid, or even a lattice top, would have found themselves out in the cold.

But the decision to award the top prize to a pasty immediately generated outrage on social media, where it was variously described as “scandalous” and “an outrage”. It was even claimed that some pie makers would boycott next year’s event.

Well, what a tadoo!! Do you think a pasty should have been the winner? Is it a pie??
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2017, 01:18 PM

Re: Look Out! Trouble at' Mill.

Are they Cornish? If they're not Cornish they could be pies in disguise!
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2017, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Controversy As A Pasty Triumphs At The Annual Pie Awards.

It is a controversial decision, likely to cause consternation among pie and pasty connoisseurs the length and breadth of the country, even prompting talk of a boycott.

But a pasty has won the coveted top prize at this year’s British Pie Awards for the first time, beating 815 other entries to take home the title of Supreme Champion.

The Beef Skirt & Vegetable Pasty, lovingly created by the family-run A.F. Huddleston Butchers in the Lake District, was said to have had the judges mouth watering with its even bake, glaze and flavours.

Matthew O’Callaghan, chairman of the British Pie Awards and Melton Mowbray Pork Pie Association, acknowledged that the decision to award the prestigious trophy to a pasty would fuel debate about the difference between a pasty and a pie.

“I know many will be surprised to see a pasty winning the British Pie Awards, but the definition of a pie is a filling totally encased in pastry” he said. “Pies come in all shapes including round pies, square pie and pasties. A pasty is simply a subsection of a pie”.
“The difference between the two is all in the structure” he said.

Pasties tend to be defined as a singular, folded pastry case with a crimped lid and a savoury filling, typically of seasoned meat and vegetables
Pies, on the other hand, traditionally have a base and sides and a separate lid. A pie is defined by the Oxford English Dictionary as “a baked dish of fruit, or meat and vegetables, typically with a top and base of pastry”.

This definition is taken extremely seriously at the annual British Pie Awards, Anyone attempting to sneak in an entry with a potato or a meringue lid, or even a lattice top, would have found themselves out in the cold.

But the decision to award the top prize to a pasty immediately generated outrage on social media, where it was variously described as “scandalous” and “an outrage”. It was even claimed that some pie makers would boycott next year’s event.

Well, what a tadoo!! Do you think a pasty should have been the winner? Is it a pie??

How can I tell till I've tasted one or three - might mean some extensive research
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2017, 04:04 PM

I never gave it a thought of a pasty being a pie.

I bet it caused a lot of grief winning.

Mind you I cannot eat either of them now a days the pastry gives me jip.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2017, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by shirley ->
I never gave it a thought of a pasty being a pie.

I bet it caused a lot of grief winning.

Mind you I cannot eat either of them now a days the pastry gives me jip.

Luckily I don't suffer from that problem!!!
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2017, 04:07 PM

Answers simple just bung the filling in a pie, then shoot the perps for trying to slip a pasty into the competition.Some things are sacred you know.

Glad you brought this to the OFF Parliament, cant have them European or Westminster twerps interfering in such weighty matters.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK

09-08-2017, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
Answers simple just bung the filling in a pie, then shoot the perps for trying to slip a pasty into the competition.Some things are sacred you know.

Glad you brought this to the OFF Parliament, cant have them European or Westminster twerps interfering in such weighty matters.

Ummmm Nom matey, Pasties originated in Cornwall, nothing to do with either Europe or Westminster.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2017, 06:40 PM

I think Europe did try to meddle with pasties once upon a time, or was it pies? I can't remember.
Best pasties used to be in Penzance up that log hill, Causeway Head and around the corner, I don't think the shop's there now.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK

09-08-2017, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
I think Europe did try to meddle with pasties once upon a time, or was it pies? I can't remember.
Best pasties used to be in Penzance up that log hill, Causeway Head and around the corner, I don't think the shop's there now.
I believe it was the Cornish Pasty company which tried to preserve its trade by insisting that only pasties actually made in corwall were entitled to call themselves Cornish pasties. I think the ECJ upheld their claim.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK

09-08-2017, 06:58 PM

Ha! So it was a pie that won then!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top