Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2017, 04:13 PM

Potatoes

Anyone having problems with buying potatoes for roasting?

I normally by Desire Red Potatoes, but the last couple of months they have been horrible, no taste, watering inside.

Can anyone recommend a good potato for Roasting Potatoes.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2017, 04:33 PM

Re: Potatoes

We have Desire too Susie, but no problems here fortunately. A couple of other contenders though are good old King Edward or Maris Piper.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2017, 04:56 PM

Tell you what, I haven't got a clue what I'm growing down the allotment. I know some are red, but in the meantime I'm just buying them in the supermarkets, good ole baking potatoes.

One I cut into the other day was absolutely ghastly inside, and I had to throw the whole spud away.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2017, 05:59 PM

I have recently changed to buying biological potatos because the normal ones had absolutly no tatse and they kept falling apart. Bio ones are really nice..
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2017, 06:18 PM

Hi

Locally the weather has not been kind this year for maincrop potatoes.

This has resulted in a price rise.

Farmgate prices have risen to £4.50 a bag of 25kilos, as against £16.90 in the Supermarkets.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2017, 06:42 PM

I don't buy many potatoes but if l do, l buy Albert Bartlett potatoes. They are lovely and great roasted too!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2017, 06:44 PM

I am eating my own that I gre in a plastic compost sack .
They are delicious but not for roasting I suspect .
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2017, 07:32 PM

I always opt for King Edwards, for roasting and baking. None available yet, I dont expect to see them on the shelves before mid October.
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2017, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by susiejaeger ->
Anyone having problems with buying potatoes for roasting?
Yes Susie been grumbling about the state of potatoes not just roasties for a few months myself. The missus thinks I am just a moaning old bugger but like you I have been found wanting for a decent spud. Our Monday evening meal was jacket potatoes until about 4 weeks ago I just got fed up with the taste of what we were buying.

I have also noticed that potatoes are losing their identies in supermarkets these days.
Its all Tescos or Sainsburys roast/baking/sweet.new or salad potatoes.
Last time I bought Maris Piper they were full of black bits so never again.
The only one I can guarantee these days are Charlotte new potatoes which we have with all our meals these days.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2017, 08:15 PM

Yes I do buy Jersey New Potatoes, but tonight we have a lovely roast dinner but the potatoes were disgusting.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top