Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2017, 08:09 AM

Murphy is being a star..

First and foremost ..Dogs and children should never be left un attended and we are keeping a very close watch on everything.

Having said that ...OH and I live alone and dont have many visitors we never have children round so I was a little worried about how Murphy would cope with my grandchildren who are 6 and 8 ..
Little man (6)has severe autism and doesn't speak so communication is difficult. Murphy seems to have no trouble.
Once he got over the shock of seeing these little people in his house he just accepted them and is curious but respectful of both of them but more so with little man, he will watch him or put his forehead to little mans arm, he sniffs but is not trying to snatch toys or food.

He is being very gentle and patient given that this is all new to him.
As I said we are being careful and making sure that Murphy isnt pulled about by little man and that he is getting plenty of time for walks so that he gets a break from the children but I couldnt be happier at his behaviour. He is a star.

Today Im taking the little people out so that OH and Murphy get some peaceful time at home alone but I couldnt resist sharing a positive dog/child interaction story......
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2017, 08:59 AM

Re: Murphy is being a star..

That's fabulous, I think dogs can have a wonderful relationship with children especially damaged ones. When grace was have such difficulty walking, Elsie would stay by her side pushing her upright as they walked, quite a feat for a terrible puller on the lead, she just knew to help.

But as you say being careful is key.

Having said that I sometimes come into living room to find Elsie Betty and grace curled up in the dog bed ! Not quite what it was bought for
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2017, 10:41 AM

very much the same happened when my GC came to visit , which is once a year , Ellie and my youngest Grandson hit it off so much i was told a visit is on the cards because GS is missing Ellie !!
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2017, 11:00 AM

That is really good Cass, well done Murphy. ChoCho absolutely adores children, but we've been lucky, none of the little ones who come here, or have been here, have ever tormented her, all have been happy to play with her and her toys. Even my little grandson who was just 18 months when they came in July was really good with her and she absolutely adored him. My son does have two large dogs at home and Jaxon is being brought up to respect animals, I just wish all childen were.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2017, 01:07 PM

Well done Murphy dogs can be a great help and comfort to children who are uncommunicative because of autism.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2017, 01:20 PM

Lovely story Cass.
My youngest grandson Josh aged 4 has been diagnosed with autism and Ady & Paula are considering having a dog for him. He would absolutely love one but they lead such busy lives and their house is so small. Personally I don't think it would be fair on the dog.

I am trying to dissuade them.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2017, 01:25 PM

IMO dogs can fit in quite small places we lived in a car with our dogs when we were homeless for a year. So size isn't a problem, busy lives can also fit around a dog depending if they can make sure someone is with the dog most of the time. Husband and I have worked opposing shifts to accommodate never leaving dogs alone. But I think I'd say we have been busy people at times too.

Perhaps just try to help them work out how it can work if they are determined ? That's more likely to work than trying to dissuade them ime.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2017, 04:17 AM

Good boy, Murphy! Cass, what a wonderful day for your grandchildren and pup! I hope that Murphy enjoyed the change of pace, and I have seen the powerful effect that dogs can have on autistic children. For my neighbor's son, who is severely autistic, his dog has not only been therepeutic - but a source of unconditional love and acceptance in a challenging world. I also once had service dog in my classroom for another autistic child, and it proved to be match made in heaven. The dog was remarkably calming (staving off meltdowns) for him - and the rest of us!

Julie, if I could reach through this computer and give you a hug, I would. To have managed to keep your dogs through a bout of homelessness speaks to the strength of your heart and character. It couldn't have been easy, but you made it work. People are so quick to give up their pets (who depend on them for everything) for so much less. You have my admiration and gratitude.

Finding Grace and your pups in that dog bed must have been priceless.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

22-08-2017, 08:55 AM

Thank you for those kind words, it's amazingly easy to keep a dog when you are homeless, they love being outside and being with their humans all day, it's when you try to get accommodation that it gets more tricky. So many rentals won't take dogs and it's got worse over the years not better.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2017, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->

Perhaps just try to help them work out how it can work if they are determined ? That's more likely to work than trying to dissuade them ime.
I think they must be considering my remarks because it hasn't been mentioned lately.

I think it much more sensible to let Josh meet the dogs of friends & neighbours and maybe ask permission to take them a walk. He would love that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top