Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2017, 07:55 PM

Well I've made a start on dog adoption

I went out this morning for breakfast in the little cafe in the park then went walking my new exercise régime all around the park I started last week. On the way back home I paced out and counted the full length of the dog run section, 525 metres then once home emailed a greyhound rehoming site and explained all about me, my small home, the small garden and the parks dog run 2 minute's from my front door and previous greyhound experience.
This site actually had personal email address for advice on adopting rather than an online enquiry form so after sending long explanatory email plus photos asked if they would advise me whether to get another rescued greyhound like Slick or if I would be better getting a smaller dog. They are part of the greyhound trust anyway but have links to other dog rescue kennels.
Just need to replace the two fence panels now to make garden secure. My son is going to help.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2017, 07:59 PM

Re: Well I've made a start on dog adoption

All sounds good so far, MC. At least you have made a positive start now.

I hope you find a nice new friend soon, it'll do you both good.

Keep us posted.

P.S. These are the people I got my old Lurcher from.
She died at 17 & half in January last year. :

http://www.lurcher.org.uk/dogs-to-adopt
Leia
UK
Leia is female  Leia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2017, 08:20 PM

That's wonderful MC. My daughter adopted a greyhound last year, she's a lovely dog and has certainly landed on her paws I adopted my dog from a lurcher rescue. Hoping you find the perfect companion and I look forward to reading all about your new dog.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2017, 08:31 PM

Good luck MC.... I envy you! I'd love another dog.

As has been said, do keep us posted!
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2017, 08:33 PM

I wish you lots of luck in finding your new companion. I'm sure there will be one that's just right for you.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2017, 08:53 PM

I really hope you find the perfect pooch soon..
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2017, 03:17 AM

MC, what wonderful news! From the post you made regarding my recent rescue (the fellow with the missing eye and deformed leg), I can tell that you are more than ready, having given all the details so much careful thought. What a great team the two of you will make! Do keep us apprised of your progress, and well done on that exercise .
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2017, 09:37 AM

Good luck to you in finding your rescue dog. I have had big dogs (pedigree) all my life, but three years ago after losing my old Lab, I decided that given my lack of mobility now, that a small dog would be more sensible.

I took on a four year old little Romanian rescue dog, whom I called Gypsy(!) and she has turned out to be a perfect companion and the most loyal dog I have ever owned. She sticks to me like glue. Last week my daughter came to visit and offered to take Gypsy for a walk, and off they went. About half an hour later I heard a dog crying, opened the door and in raced Gypsy. She had run across two roads just to come back home. My daughter said she let her off on the field for a run and she shot off like a rocket, straight home.

I am sure you will not regret the decision, have fun with a new companion.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	3789  
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2017, 09:43 AM

Good luck hope you and your new friend find each other soon.
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2017, 09:00 PM

That is great news,youve had experience so know what to expect,these large dogs are often very laid back and want less exercise than their smaller cousins.Our boy is a [largish grey hound size ] lurcher, he spends most of his days laying around,after a shortish walk he lays doen for a sleep again,He has a few mad dashes around our garden.We dont let him off lead in the park, too many children and little dogs he may chase

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top