Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2017, 03:18 AM

Are Your Passwords Safe?

The US National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) has issued new guidelines for password security that turn accepted wisdom about creating long strings of letters, numbers and symbols on its head.

NIST, a non-regulatory federal agency within the US Department of Commerce, issued the original advice in 2003 that became the global standard for password security. But it now says the advice led people to create predictably ‘complex’ passwords in a bid to remember them, which made them more vulnerable to hackers.

Key changes in NIST’s new digital identity guidelines include:

• Don’t arbitrarily mix letters, numbers and symbols to make a password. Instead, create passwords that are more memorable.
  • Single dictionary words, the user’s street address or numeric sequences such as 1234567 should be banned.
  • Organisations should screen the strength of their passwords against those used in cybercriminal dictionary attacks; a method of breaking into a password-protected computer or server by systematically entering every word in a dictionary as a password.
  • Stop frequently changing passwords, for example each month, as it leads to poor passwords being created.

I absolutely agree with the last one, it has always seemed to me absolutely stupid to keep changing a password as long as it is secure.

As for the first one I am guilty of that because I use a password storage program called Keepass to create and store all my passwords. It has versions for both PC and Android so I can carry the encrypted file on my phone as well.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2017, 07:04 AM

Re: Are Your Passwords Safe?

Hi

Totally agree.

Mine are fishing related with dates from memorable fishing trips.

Easy to remember for me.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2017, 10:00 AM

I'm terrible with passwords, so much so my husband banned me from doing any financial things on my computer and he does it all.

I lose them, forget them and get locked out. So I then just use one I can remember for everything

I was the same with atm machine and my debit card.
Freespirit
Dorset, UK
Freespirit is female  Freespirit has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2017, 10:05 AM

Bruce
Whenever I log in, I keep getting the message 'password not secure' that it could be hacked as this website has not got 'https//:' in front of www. What can I do about it?

Or can anyone else answer my question?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2017, 10:51 AM

One thing I really hate is when you are asked to choose a password but when you submit it, it isn't acceptable ie: it has to have so many letters, symbols, caps, numbers etc. I can't remember all that.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2017, 07:54 PM

Mine are iron cast
Heatherbelle
Canada
Heatherbelle is female  Heatherbelle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2017, 09:40 PM

You might want to have a look at this site:
https://haveibeenpwned.com/
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2017, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Freespirit ->
Bruce
Whenever I log in, I keep getting the message 'password not secure' that it could be hacked as this website has not got 'https//:' in front of www. What can I do about it?

Or can anyone else answer my question?
My Firefox browser does this when I log into this site, it doesn't do it anywhere else though so I just ignore it.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2017, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
Mine are iron cast
Thanks Rhian.

Is that iron cast or ironcast?
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2017, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Thanks Rhian.

Is that iron cast or ironcast?
Ooh I don't know
Have I erred?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top