Join for free
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Kev60
Germany. Black Forest.
Kev60 is male  Kev60 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2017, 04:19 PM

Re: Angry rant I'm afraid

So sorry to hear what happened to Betty Julie. Although she'll be a little sore and sorry at least she's back with you.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2017, 04:33 PM

Thanks kev she does look a bit sorry for herself and quite swollen around her left jaw line. Chihuahuas shake when cold or scared she's very shaky at the moment.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2017, 04:38 PM

Julie, I am appalled at cases like this.
I hope Betty soon recovers. It is the mental scars that we can't see that bother me.

I gather this other dog was not on a lead if it ran across the road to grab hold of Betty. Is that an offence in your area? The stupid owner would have been in big trouble if it had caused a car to serve or crash.

Have a look at this link, it might be of interest:

https://www.lawontheweb.co.uk/legal-...-bites-dog-law

p.s. I hope she has given you her true address.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2017, 05:38 PM

It might perhaps add more weight if the Vetīs letter had a solicitorīs letter to go with it. I hope poor little Betty recovers quickly.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2017, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
I do not however believe it is the dogs fault, it is the owners.
Of course it's the owners (stupid humans) who are to blame. The only dog that will really attack another dog is one that has been abused and trained to fight by the many thousands of cruel yobs (Mostly in the inner cities)

But some dogs do have a 'pack leader' gene and they will try to increase the size of their pack but only if the 'new' dog is subordinate. That means there can be some discipline handed out if the other dog doesn't immediately lie down and roll over.

Discipline in this context can mean a lot of growling and jaws across the other dog, but (and this is the important bit) the amount of closure is carefully controlled and should NOT result in puncturing the skin. Let alone breaking a jaw.

Having said that if the dog is not exercised daily and feed properly and given security then just like humans they can be nervous and unpredictable.

It's amazing just how many humans take no time to read up on animals, dog owners especially, they think of them as kids in fur coats, they are NOT but of course the arrogant self seeking humans will never learn, they are the ones (and all their predecessors) who have managed to become the dominant species on this planet and who think they know everything grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2017, 06:26 PM

Just read this thread and am appalled - poor little Betty. I hope that irresponsible woman pays up - it is good that your vet sent a letter of support with the bill.

Big hugs - gentle ones - to both you and Betty.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2017, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Just read this thread and am appalled - poor little Betty. I hope that irresponsible woman pays up - it is good that your vet sent a letter of support with the bill.

Big hugs - gentle ones - to both you and Betty.
Ditto to all that Julie (thank you ST)
Hope Betty and you, feel better soon

Just a thought..
Is it a concern the local council could act upon?
Or the local press?
More awareness at least, could improve things
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2017, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Losos ->
Of course it's the owners (stupid humans) who are to blame. The only dog that will really attack another dog is one that has been abused and trained to fight by the many thousands of cruel yobs (Mostly in the inner cities)
Sorry this is not true .
Dogs do attack and fight other dogs at times even if they are cherished pets and not abused at all
It may well be a dominance thing but it's not acceptable .
The problem is a small dog like a chihuahua has really very little defence against practically every other dog .
I agree useless owners come by the legion .
For some extrealordinary reason these ones always seem to prefer a large or potentially dangerous dog not to be able to control .
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2017, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Losos ->
Sorry but not true, The JRT who has bitten Murphy 4 times now is not a fight dog hes just a small dog who has not been disiplined, is not castrated and not kept on a lead so he goes with his basic instinct which is to attack other male dogs he sees as invading his territory.(the park)

The fact he is owned by a total plonker is a shame but thats the way it is.

My own Border colllie became a bit snappy as he reached sexaul maturity and we (s)nipped it in the bud ensuring that his dominant behaviour didnt get out of control.

If a dog is aggressive in any way a vet should be consulted to make sure there are no medical reasons , a behaviourist can be called in and the dog should be kept on lead at all times and muzzled if need be..

The stream of 'hes never done that before' comments is getting worse and worse as people simply fail to admit responsibilty for the actions of their dogs.

As for the law in the UK any dog who causes damage to another person or animal is deemd to be out of control.

https://www.gov.uk/control-dog-public/overview
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2017, 08:41 PM

Thing is Cass, this government ruling about the dogs out of control only covers punishment for dogs that attack HUMANS or Guide dogs.
In order to get something done otherwise, you normally have to have got bitten yourself, or THINK you will get bitten.

Dog on Dog is a different kettle of fish altogether, unless it is a guide dog injured.
Hence the link on post 23.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top