Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2017, 11:28 AM

That's it...I'm out of here!

Years ago some plot holders were giving away a plastic upright garden storage, so I placed it in the greenhouse, tucked away in a corner, out of anyone's way. And suddenly it seems that I now need to 'shift all my stuff out', but I've not been told this officially! I have no access to a LOCKABLE shed, whereas all the people now using the raised beds have their OWN plots, and their own method of securing the doors. The communal shed had the lock broken years ago and so I don't put my stuff in there. So what I do have in the GH are my hand tools, my trugs, my netting, and bigger tools. And the incinerator, which I need to sell.

Meeting the two women on Tuesday as they went past in the car, all they said was they were thinking of renovating it, and I'd have to clear my stuff out. Speaking to Lynda this morning she said I have to clear everything out, because more people are using it. I said, clear what out? Everything, she said. I asked, who said that? Well, nobody. I asked again, somebody had to say it. Who? So she mentioned Maggie, our Secretary. It had to be used for storing seeds only. I think she meant seedlings.

I said, wouldn't it have been nice of Maggie to let me know herself? So I've now had to email said Maggie, asking her to elaborate, and asking is that storage in anyone's way? (I would have appreciated a discreet phone call.)

So I can see myself having a massive car boot sale with everything going. Goodness knows what to do with that storage unit, unless I fly tip it somewhere!

I am so hating it down there now. I can see me walking away by next April, when the rents are due, or even before.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2017, 11:37 AM

Re: That's it...I'm out of here!

That's so sad, it's not unusual though from my experience on allotments. The actual growing was great fun but the bitchiness from men and women was unbearable. You get bullies and controllers and people think they run the place. It's just a horrible atmosphere.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2017, 12:06 PM

When the price of vegetables rises you may need all the ground you can find. Dig for Victory, teach these Johnny Foreigners a lesson they can laugh about for years to come!
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2017, 12:06 PM

Jan darlin' - some places seem to have 'fires'. Can't you, (accidentally, on purpose ) have a fire in this shed and claim the 'lost' value of your possessions on your insurance???
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2017, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
Years ago some plot holders were giving away a plastic upright garden storage, so I placed it in the greenhouse, tucked away in a corner, out of anyone's way. And suddenly it seems that I now need to 'shift all my stuff out', but I've not been told this officially! I have no access to a LOCKABLE shed, whereas all the people now using the raised beds have their OWN plots, and their own method of securing the doors. The communal shed had the lock broken years ago and so I don't put my stuff in there. So what I do have in the GH are my hand tools, my trugs, my netting, and bigger tools. And the incinerator, which I need to sell.

Meeting the two women on Tuesday as they went past in the car, all they said was they were thinking of renovating it, and I'd have to clear my stuff out. Speaking to Lynda this morning she said I have to clear everything out, because more people are using it. I said, clear what out? Everything, she said. I asked, who said that? Well, nobody. I asked again, somebody had to say it. Who? So she mentioned Maggie, our Secretary. It had to be used for storing seeds only. I think she meant seedlings.

I said, wouldn't it have been nice of Maggie to let me know herself? So I've now had to email said Maggie, asking her to elaborate, and asking is that storage in anyone's way? (I would have appreciated a discreet phone call.)

So I can see myself having a massive car boot sale with everything going. Goodness knows what to do with that storage unit, unless I fly tip it somewhere!

I am so hating it down there now. I can see me walking away by next April, when the rents are due, or even before.
Hi Jazzi.

If it's causing you so much grief, walk away. Life's too short to worry about the Garden Gestapo.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2017, 12:35 PM

That's my advice too but it's heart wrenching when you've put as much time and effort into something as jazzi has just to have it spoiled by others.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2017, 02:12 PM

I would be tempted to spread a lot of weedkiller or other nasty around or maybe spend the next few weeks finding and sharing as many slugs snails and pests as possible to leave as a parting gift.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

24-08-2017, 02:36 PM

Remind me not to upset cass
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2017, 02:37 PM

Jazzi, if you are no longer enjoying it you need to give it up. Having an allotment should be a pleasure where you can grow things and share the company of other holders. When I was a child we had allotments at the back of my house and a Polish man would bring his children. He would lift them over the garden fence, to play with me, and my mum would make a cuppa for him and my dad to drink whilst chatting over the fence. To return the favour he would often pass a cabbage or other things he grew, to us, and although we never spent any other time together, we considered them to be friends.

What a shame your people can't be the same!
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2017, 03:27 PM

From what I read in this post and previous one's about your problems with the people at your allotment's it sounds as if they've got a vendetta against you, or at least someone who trying hard to make your life a misery which is awful.
Don't leave the allotment because that's what it sounds like they want you to do. It sounds more like you hate going there now because of the nasty people there rather than not enjoying your allotment. Is their no one in authority you can take this to?

Your situation is so annoying to me as my ex girlfriend applied for and was given an allotment which when we went to see was totally overgrown except for a massive gooseberry bush. I thought great, I love gooseberry pie. She then arranged for the whole thing to be rotivated over which I thought was a bit daft as that would just bury all the weeds in the ground. It was a waste of time anyway as she never went back to the place again and after a good few months the council took it back.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top