Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2017, 10:55 AM

Re: No more eating pigs

I could happily live without roast pork, pig liver, brawn etc., but not without bacon or gammon steaks! Mine all come from a 'proper' pork butcher who dry cures his own - so no nasty slime in the frying pan - just delicous bacon/gammon.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2017, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Nope, not at all.

We have massive chicken farms locally, the manure goes to land, it is injected and produces very good grass and corn.

The grass is then harvested as silage to produce feed for the cows over winter.

The cows than produce milk as well as manure, the milk goes to the massive cheese and yoghurt manufacturers locally.

Muellers alone produce 2 Million yogurts a day and !500 tonnes of butter a week.

The whey, a by product of this, then goes back to the pig farms, which produce manure and the cycle starts again.

My pigs were all free range, out and about, in a pen system.

Turned out onto the land, foraged and dug up the land and manured it at the same time.

When there was no more food, they went into the next pen and the old pen was sown and the crops harvested, so on and so forth.

Each pen was a quarter acre, plenty of room for them.

In Winter they were let out on the swedes and beet to forage.

Pigs will root up and eat all perennial weeds, so not a chemical used.

I kept Large Blacks and a couple of Peppa Pigs for the Littlie.

The pigs had a concrete based shed at night, covered with straw and a small concrete hard standing outside the shed.

Easier to clean, but they could wonder in and out as they pleased.

Nitrates by the way are only used to produce bacon, not pigs.
Yes I know that and it was the finished product bacon + nitrates that is so consumed by most bacon eaters and nitrates are not good for humans!
Manure is not always good for the soil .
Excessive compost can create many problems such as high salt levels excessive organic matter, and soil pH levels that are either too high or too low. So it must be carefully managed too much nitrogen and prosperous disrupts the environment .
Ammonia too can cause problems if too much is applied to the soli .
In the area I live there are too many nettles they love ammonia .
Pigs kept in fields are good for the soil I was thinking of those huge factory farms that produce massive lakes of slurry .
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2017, 09:33 PM

There is just as much animal suffering in intensive farming of grain and vegetables. We destroy the natural habitat so that we can gorge ourselves without any guilt.

After I became a lapsed veggie I couldn't bring myself to eat pork for years. I try not to eat mammals, but not everyone can be veggie/vegan.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2017, 11:02 PM

No pig for me.

Pork contributes to bowel cancer plus many other health problems.
Pigs are pumped full of antibiotics, loaded with fat and artery clogging cholesterol.

Pigs are factory farmed in the most dreadful conditions, made so heavy they can't even support their own body weight.
"Factory farms are pure hell for pigs and their babies. Mother pigs spend most of their lives in tiny “gestation” crates, which are so small that the animals are unable to turn around or even lie down comfortably. They are repeatedly impregnated until they are slaughtered. Piglets, who are taken away from their distraught mothers after just a few weeks, have their tails chopped off, their teeth are clipped off with pliers, and the males are castrated—all without painkillers."
They never see the sky.
If we think that's right and people contribute by eating pork, to those horrific conditions for animals which have the same natural feeling and intelligence as a 3 yrs old child , then there is something drastically wrong with the human race. If people know the horrific conditions they are bred in and then slaughtered, which is another dreadful scene, and continue to eat pork at what point do dogs have priority over pigs. The dog meat festival in Asia, is condemned by the likes of us, and humans should have no advantage over animals. The whole process is evil . It has been said if slaughterhouses had glass walls we would all be vegan.

End pig pain.

https://www.endpigpain.eu/
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2017, 11:11 PM

This might help anyone who is not too sure !

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=fa...=1503785115832
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2017, 01:21 AM

Charlotte's Web finished me off for good when I was eight.

Some pig!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top