Join for free
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2017, 03:36 PM

Replacement Modem Router for Phone Line

My Netgear packed up again yesterday. Six months ago, it did the same, and over a one hour telecon then, a ClaraNet techie put me right - with the warning that the DGND3700v2 needs replacing.

So, just had a scan of Amazon and there are pages of different models from cheap as chips to £300 plus, so the big question for me is which one,at say £100 and under. Domestic use and not fibre. Any suggestions or comments folks?

Many thanks
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2017, 04:51 PM

Re: Replacement Modem Router for Phone Line

That's renowned for good WiFi, your old Netgear.
One of the best buys just now IMHO is the TP-Link VR900 v2 @£95 (Amazon).

Why?
It has fast & good wireless - to a newer standard, too.
It has fast wired ports (like the old one.)
It can be used on both standard and fibre broadband.
It has a couple of USB3 ports (bonus).
It is easy to set up.

Yes, you could go cheaper and probably get the same sort of performance as your old Netgear but there are potentially lots of considerations (like: do you use the wired connections? Do you and/or others in your home use wireless ? Are you using standard broadband and would you in future consider fibre?) but TBH this single modem/router provides for most eventualities.

I have had two TP-Link modem/routers and it has been my experience that they are both easy-to-use and reliable, my current one being the tall white VR900 which suits my family's needs admirably.

HTH but if you want more-specific advice or have questions feel free to ask away.
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2017, 10:32 AM

Thanks for your reply Zaphod.As there are zillions of modem/routers available - wheat from chaff comes to mind in the selection process.
It occurred to me to chat up the techies at my ISP. I joined Claranet about twenty years ago after I set up my business. Founded by a Frenchman and based in London, I went for their dial-up for £4 per month with excellent tech support. Now, they are the biggest ISP in western Europe with over 2000 employees in a galaxy of offices across Europe and London. I am with their SOHO division in Warrington.
Six months ago, I had a severe problem and one of their engineers spent an hour on the phone sorting it, but saying my old Netgear needed replacing. True! I spoke with sales, and asked if they would sell me a box, but these only went to new fibre accounts, but as I am one of their long standing customers, he would let me have a ZyXEL VMG 8324-B10A for £50 including setting up for my account, so I could plug and play.

Sorry if I went on a bit, but it is worth concluding that first class customer service and technical support from those who don't read from screens, but know their stuff are worth their weight in gold. All for £23 per month. Amen
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2017, 02:51 PM

That's a great result Dobra.
I haven't personally used Zyxel but that one has a reputation for reliability and if it comes ready to plug'n'play that's a big bonus, plus you are absolutely right regarding support.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2017, 05:02 AM

Am in a similar position perhaps my Dratek Vigor2920Vn was locking up a few days ago and I do not have a spare so I have just ordered a TP-Link TL-WR1043ND V4 from Ebay. It is only $72 (£37) but will be handy to have as a standby.

I am now wondering if the problem with my existing modem was caused by the NBN because it has been fine since but I am still keen to have a spare modem/router set up to plug straight in.

My Draytek is a bit of overkill it has far more facilities than I ever use but at the time it was the only one with built in VOIP.

galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2017, 05:53 AM

Have had 3 routers fail me in the past 10 years.

Just phoned up my ISP and they sent me a new one FREE of Charge.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2017, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by galty ->
Have had 3 routers fail me in the past 10 years.

Just phoned up my ISP and they sent me a new one FREE of Charge.
I thought this Draytek was the first of mine to fail ever and I have had modems since 300baud was cutting edge technology. Your ISP must be buying something really cheap and nasty if they keep failing.

My problem is that eventually I give most of my unused equipment away. My last remaining ADSL 2+ modem went to a friend in Adelaide only about a month ago while my spare WAN modem/router went to a son as a wifi range extender for his home network. An old Billion ADSL ended up in the bin at the same time as being too old to even give away.

It is only when something goes wrong that you realise that giving away the last one was not a wise move.
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB

10-09-2017, 10:08 AM

Here is a map for the ZyXEL, foto from the screen.

galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2017, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I thought this Draytek was the first of mine to fail ever and I have had modems since 300baud was cutting edge technology. Your ISP must be buying something really cheap and nasty if they keep failing.

My problem is that eventually I give most of my unused equipment away. My last remaining ADSL 2+ modem went to a friend in Adelaide only about a month ago while my spare WAN modem/router went to a son as a wifi range extender for his home network. An old Billion ADSL ended up in the bin at the same time as being too old to even give away.

It is only when something goes wrong that you realise that giving away the last one was not a wise move.
No the first was not wireless they changed free of charge for a wire less one.

The wire less one fell on the floor and stopped working.

They sent me another one.

So thats three free Modems.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

11-09-2017, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by galty ->
No the first was not wireless they changed free of charge for a wire less one.

The wire less one fell on the floor and stopped working.

They sent me another one.

So thats three free Modems.
Nice.

I received my 'spare' WAN router today and spent some of the afternoon setting it up. Now it is ready for service and back in the box. My Draytek hasn't missed a beat since I ordered it, it must be the electronic equivalent of leaning an axe up against a non productive tree.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top