Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2017, 08:42 PM

Deer in the Garden

We have a deer keeps coming in our garden.I have no idea where it comes from as we live in a built up suburb and our parks are across busy main roads. The gardens on one side of me are very overgrown and neglected so it seems to be hanging around there,we also have foxes but the deer is bigger than them so I hope they wont bother it
WoollyBack
Lincolnshire, UK
WoollyBack is male 

29-08-2017, 02:31 PM

Re: Deer in the Garden

Foxes tend to go for prey smaller than themselves, like rabbits, other small mammals, or birds like chickens and pheasants. Deer are preyed on by pack animals like wolves, or something large like a big cat or a bear. So unless you have one of them in your area, your deer should be quite safe. Do you know what kind of deer it is? I sometimes see roe deer near to where I live.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2017, 02:54 PM

Most likely to be run down by a car when they cross a road round here. I think you are very lucky having one so close deylon.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2017, 05:55 PM

Deylon, I know that must be a treat for you. I had the same experience when I lived in a busy suburb but was backed up to a creek. We had foxes and coyotes, but the deer showed up for several years. Hopefully, yours will be fine and wander off when he has had his fill of the nearby gardens. I hope you can get a picture!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2017, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by WoollyBack ->
Foxes tend to go for prey smaller than themselves, like rabbits, other small mammals, or birds like chickens and pheasants. Deer are preyed on by pack animals like wolves, or something large like a big cat or a bear. So unless you have one of them in your area, your deer should be quite safe. Do you know what kind of deer it is? I sometimes see roe deer near to where I live.

I shouldn't worry too much about bears in Harrow, Woolly, but I wonder if it is a mother hanging around with a baby fawn, foxes might have a go at the fawn if they have cubs to feed, though most of the cubs should be weaned by now.

Sadly, a couple of good Lurchers would bring a young deer down too.
Lets just hope she/he stays safe.
You are very lucky Deylon.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2017, 11:18 PM

How strange the deer being in a built up area, they are usually so shy. I wonder if it is tame one.

I saw 2 badgers late last night when taking Chloe out they were sniffing around in the pen where the sheep are weighed. I thought it was a cat and shone my torch through the farm gate and saw 2 stripy heads . They looked quite small, this years cubs I guess.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2017, 08:04 AM

I get muntjac deer in my garden, they like the apples that have fallen off my apple trees. They look lovely but l'm sure it is them that take the bark off my trees?
Here is a pic of one them in my garden last year..

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1623.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	3840  
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2017, 08:08 AM

That's a tubby one !
I saw one the other day it crossed the road in front of me luckily it was a very quiet road .
They are very small I should think could be easily killed by a fox or dog .
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2017, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
That's a tubby one !
I saw one the other day it crossed the road in front of me luckily it was a very quiet road .
They are very small I should think could be easily killed by a fox or dog .
Muddy, It's a shame that the pic hasn't come out very clear in my post.
Usually, there are two of them and even if l gently move closer to the window that is quite a way from them, they run off!
I don't know how they can eat those sour Bramley apples with no sugar on them!!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2017, 08:51 AM

How lucky you are Art I always think it's a gift to see wild creatures .
Especially ones so lovely .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top