Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2017, 10:14 PM

Plasma TV

Couple of questions...

I've provisionally swapped my LCD TV with my daughter's TV.
She acquired it when she left her flat. No manual with it, so I did a bit of research on Google and found it's actually a plasma TV.

Not being au fait with technology, I've been reading up on the difference.

It's much bigger than mine and is 750 watts. Seems an awful lot of wattage... will it use loads of juice?

Anyway, I've noticed it's very warm when running, the picture seems vastly different in ways I can't really put into words and on reading up it mentions plasma TVs are 'more susceptible to burn-in'. I can't grasp quite what that means. Can someone explain please.... I mean, it's not going to blow up is it?
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2017, 10:25 PM

Re: Plasma TV

Plasma burn occurs when images are burnt onto the screen an example of this could be the press red symbol or the channel name, usually found in the top left or right of the screen can become permanently burnt onto the screen so no matter which channel you are watching it will also show , it is worse when the TV is used for gaming, plasmas are more power hungry than LCD and will get warm, nothing to worry about, I don't think plasma TV's are still on sale , now its led or oled
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2017, 10:32 PM

I have a MASSIVE plasma tv
He's lovely
No problems here...
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2017, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
It's much bigger than mine and is 750 watts. Seems an awful lot of wattage... will it use loads of juice?
Good God. That's not far off a single bar electric fire! No wonder it's 'warm'!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2017, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
He's lovely
No problems here...
Ah, so televisions are 'male', just as cars are 'female', eh?
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2017, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
Plasma burn occurs when images are burnt onto the screen an example of this could be the press red symbol or the channel name, usually found in the top left or right of the screen can become permanently burnt onto the screen so no matter which channel you are watching it will also show , it is worse when the TV is used for gaming, plasmas are more power hungry than LCD and will get warm, nothing to worry about, I don't think plasma TV's are still on sale , now its led or oled
Oh thanks Primus!.... I see what you mean about the channel name being on the screen. Ok, as long as it doesn't mean it's going to catch fire and blow up!

No apparently they don't make them any more.

Thanks again.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2017, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Ah, so televisions are 'male', just as cars are 'female', eh?
I've never called my car by a female name no!
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2017, 10:40 PM

I've an old 40 inch ten year old plasma, with a glass screen which weighs a ton .... they get very warm .. you can feel the heat off it from about a foot away. I've often wondered whether to drape my washing over it to dry (only kidding folks, don't try this at home!)

Burn in ? ... don't place anything infront of the screen even say, a flat ornament. I had a low piece of amethyst and it's created a dark shadow burnt into the screen... just where any subtitles appear and are now unreadable.
Also .. I don't know whether it's true or not but if a plasma breaks as opposed to an LCD there were once concerns about toxicity and their safe disposal cos of the leaking plasma.
I'll update on that one if and when it topples over and breaks.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK

28-08-2017, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Good God. That's not far off a single bar electric fire! No wonder it's 'warm'!
OMG!!!

Can't believe that.... really??!!
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK

28-08-2017, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
He's lovely
No problems here...
Steady on old girl.... what about the TV

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top