Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2017, 12:09 AM

Re: Plasma TV

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Thanks Rhian. A very sensible name for your telly!
Ha! You like?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2017, 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
Ha! You like?
Yes.
Boozercruiser
Chatterbox
Wales
Boozercruiser is male  Boozercruiser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2017, 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
I have a MASSIVE plasma tv
He's lovely
No problems here...
I have the latest 65 inch LG Oled Ultra HD screen TV which has a wonderful picture.
It uses around 300 watts electricity when on which is far less than Plasma.
Plasma is on the way out I feel as LED and OLED are arguably the best in every way.
Particularly OLED!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2017, 06:45 AM

Got rid of my Plasma TV, kept getting ghostly apparitions in the room, took advice, but weren't willing to go to the extra expense of a "Proton Pack".
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2017, 08:15 AM

Had a Panasonic plasma for years, but after I changed it, noticed the electricity bill dropped!!
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2017, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by InfamyInfamy ->
I have the latest 65 inch LG Oled Ultra HD screen TV which has a wonderful picture.
It uses around 300 watts electricity when on which is far less than Plasma.
Plasma is on the way out I feel as LED and OLED are arguably the best in every way.
Particularly OLED!
Me too, only a 55" OLED.
Well some concessions must be made to keep SWMBO "on side".

Firstly I have to say that I would never go back to LCD/LED.
Secondly ours (calibrated) uses around 100 watts which is about the same as similar sized LCD/LED's.

I changed my desktop to an Intel NUC too in order to cut down electricity usage - it uses maximum 45 watts whereas the old one had a 750 watt PSU.
Boozercruiser
Chatterbox
Wales
Boozercruiser is male  Boozercruiser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2017, 08:23 PM

Here is a boring fact.
Did you know that for every 1 watt of a bulb or appliance left on for a year costs around £1.20p.
One should think twice about leaving stuff on standby or using 700 watt plasma TVs!
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2017, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
I changed my desktop to an Intel NUC too in order to cut down electricity usage - it uses maximum 45 watts whereas the old one had a 750 watt PSU.
I like to know what various items use when they are running or when on stand-by (where applicable). To that end, I have a power meter that household items can be plugged into to see what power they use. I know it's a reasonably accurate device because when a 3kw kettle is run via the meter, the power usage measures close on that. Similar with our 1.4kW toaster. It measures as using slightly above that.

Running the Desktop computer via the meter gives a reading of about 75 watts of mains power when booting up. This settles down to a value of around 40 watts with the computer sitting idle. I'm sure this would be somewhat higher if running a game or something but nothing near the figure of the power supply's wattage rating.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2017, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
Me too, only a 55" OLED.
Well some concessions must be made to keep SWMBO "on side".

Firstly I have to say that I would never go back to LCD/LED.
Secondly ours (calibrated) uses around 100 watts which is about the same as similar sized LCD/LED's.
I think OLED televisions are good. Equivalent to when coloured phosphors were made to glow on the rear of the glass screen on the old CRT colour televisions. Viewing angle was not a factor with those as regards the best place to sit for seeing the maximum light output.

However, viewing angle problems with LCD screens seem to have been largely overcome. A decent-looking picture can still be seen even when sitting to the side of the television. That wasn't always the case when backlit LCD screens first hit the market. Also, LED backlight screens/panels now look bright enough with good black levels. They are capable of giving a pretty impressive picture quality overall. Not quite the same as OLED but good enough for those who don't want to spend the money on buying an OLED television just yet.

I'm in that category of person. Happy enough with an LCD screen but OLED next time maybe. Televisions seem so much more reliable now that an OLED television will probably be a few years time for me.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2017, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
I think OLED televisions are good. Equivalent to when coloured phosphors were made to glow on the rear of the glass screen on the old CRT colour televisions. Viewing angle was not a factor with those as regards the best place to sit for seeing the maximum light output.

However, viewing angle problems with LCD screens seem to have been largely overcome. A decent-looking picture can still be seen even when sitting to the side of the television. That wasn't always the case when backlit LCD screens first hit the market. Also, LED backlight screens/panels now look bright enough with good black levels. They are capable of giving a pretty impressive picture quality overall. Not quite the same as OLED but good enough for those who don't want to spend the money on buying an OLED television just yet.

I'm in that category of person. Happy enough with an LCD screen but OLED next time maybe. Televisions seem so much more reliable now that an OLED television will probably be a few years time for me.
Yes, I was happy too until I saw a calibrated LED.

I don't wish to appear contrary but your "viewing angle" comment is not strictly-speaking correct and neither is the comment about blacks; the following may explain better without taking up space here.
http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinio...ed-lcd-2924602
Here's a handy forum for anyone with an interest in audio-visual: https://www.avforums.com/

A major disadvantage of OLED so far is size availability; you just can't get a (for example) 32" OLED. Yet, that is; the day will however surely come when you can.
When however it comes purely to picture quality in a given size, to achieve a similar degree of excellence the pricing of each is often very similar.

And thus it is with TV's it as it with much else in life; as the saying goes, "you pays your money and you takes your choice".

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top