Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2017, 06:21 PM

Re: Plasma TV

Originally Posted by mart ->
I like to know what various items use when they are running or when on stand-by (where applicable). To that end, I have a power meter that household items can be plugged into to see what power they use. I know it's a reasonably accurate device because when a 3kw kettle is run via the meter, the power usage measures close on that. Similar with our 1.4kW toaster. It measures as using slightly above that.

Running the Desktop computer via the meter gives a reading of about 75 watts of mains power when booting up. This settles down to a value of around 40 watts with the computer sitting idle. I'm sure this would be somewhat higher if running a game or something but nothing near the figure of the power supply's wattage rating.
I am quite happy to talk technical if you want BUT basically for now, there are reasons why a PC should not utilise the full stated power output of a PSU.
My stepson-in-law has a 1500 watt PSU in his gaming desktop - and his dual graphics card setup alone uses over 500 watts of that under load. Measured.
As with most things and avoiding technicalities, it's "horses for courses".
My current NUC uses on average under 10 watts, less than the processor alone in my old desktop. Yet my current one is both faster and more-capable.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2017, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
I am quite happy to talk technical if you want BUT basically for now, there are reasons why a PC should not utilise the full stated power output of a PSU.
My stepson-in-law has a 1500 watt PSU in his gaming desktop - and his dual graphics card setup alone uses over 500 watts of that under load. Measured.
As with most things and avoiding technicalities, it's "horses for courses".
My current NUC uses on average under 10 watts, less than the processor alone in my old desktop. Yet my current one is both faster and more-capable.
I didn't think I was being all that technical Zaphod. Just a comment on the power used by my Desktop computer as measured at the mains socket.

Just making the point that because the secondary side of a power supply is rated as capable of supplying hundreds of watts, the average Desktop computer probably doesn't draw that from the mains.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2017, 09:03 PM

Well, I've altered the colour and stuff, looks so much better.

I've been worried about the wattage, as I'm so careful not to use too much leccy.
The only thing I have plugged in all the time is the BT hub and clock radio. The m/wave is always switched off when not in use and I leave nothing on standby.
Proper energy efficient I am. Well perhaps having to be economical would be more to the point.

While the TV has been on I watched the meter going round. It's surprisingly quicker (although not quick) with the TV on.

Not sure what to do with it - whether to keep it or have my other back.

Then another side of me appreciates that the heat emitting from it would be quite good in the room in the winter as it's such a cold house

Decisions, decisions....
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2017, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
Then another side of me appreciates that the heat emitting from it would be quite good in the room in the winter as it's such a cold house

Decisions, decisions....
Yes, other types of television make poor radiators.

Andy Peters burnt himself by kissing a plasma television screen (shown in the YouTube clip linked to below):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrDTSLtWqws

Perhaps you could swap between the two and have a winter TV (plasma) and a summer one (LCD).
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2017, 07:00 PM

Well, I've altered the colour and stuff, looks so much better.

I've been worried about the wattage, as I'm so careful not to use too much leccy.
The only thing I have plugged in all the time is the BT hub and clock radio. The m/wave is always switched off when not in use and I leave nothing on standby.
Proper energy efficient I am. Well perhaps having to be economical would be more to the point.

While the TV has been on I watched the meter going round. It's surprisingly quicker (although not quick) with the TV on.

Not sure what to do with it - whether to keep it or have my other back.

Decisions, decisions....
Let's be honest, unless you watch a heck of a lot of TV the power consumption difference is not such a "biggie" - in "normal" use (if there is such a thing) it should cost you pennies per day more.

In honesty if it were me my concern would be the age of the TV compared to what you had before.
NOT suggesting imminent failure or anything and no, there are no more problems with plasma TV longevity that any other but I would be hesitant to swap a new-ish TV for an old-ish one.

Regards the heat - what a great reason to use the TV in winter; "Hang on it's a little chilly in here; I will turn the telly on."
Marshmallows on sticks may be good. Just not too close to the screen, eh.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2017, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
Yes, other types of television make poor radiators.

Andy Peters burnt himself by kissing a plasma television screen (shown in the YouTube clip linked to below):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrDTSLtWqws

Perhaps you could swap between the two and have a winter TV (plasma) and a summer one (LCD).

Good post Mart, enjoyed the giggle, thanks..
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK

31-08-2017, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
Let's be honest, unless you watch a heck of a lot of TV the power consumption difference is not such a "biggie" - in "normal" use (if there is such a thing) it should cost you pennies per day more.

In honesty if it were me my concern would be the age of the TV compared to what you had before.
NOT suggesting imminent failure or anything and no, there are no more problems with plasma TV longevity that any other but I would be hesitant to swap a new-ish TV for an old-ish one.

Regards the heat - what a great reason to use the TV in winter; "Hang on it's a little chilly in here; I will turn the telly on."
Marshmallows on sticks may be good. Just not too close to the screen, eh.

The last bit made me giggle too Zaphod...thanks

Incidentally, the plasma one is 4yrs old and mine is 8yrs old. So I s'pose in age, the plasma wins.
Zaphod
Lincs UK

01-09-2017, 07:05 PM

The last bit made me giggle too Zaphod...thanks

Incidentally, the plasma one is 4yrs old and mine is 8yrs old. So I s'pose in age, the plasma wins.
You're very welcome.

Keep the plasma. It probably has the better picture - and if you want to "fiddle" with the settings there are often places online explaining how a particular set can be tweaked; the link I gave earlier is just one such site.

On a serious note regarding power consumption & heat, whatever heat is being emitted into the room from the TV is heat that will not be needed from elsewhere, so it's not only about what power it uses.

Now, I have skewers and pink & white marshmallows.
Will they survive in a jiffy bag to you?

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top