Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2017, 10:14 AM

Loose dog ( a rant)

Yesterday I went to pick up my daughter for shopping and sitting at the traffic light a GSD appeared (it seemed ) from nowhere and ran out into the junction... My light went green, I rolled forward trying to figure out how to stop, catch the dog , avoid being hit or killed and what to do with said dog.. when suddenly it did a U trun and ran back the way it had come ..Parking the car quickly I yelled to my daughter who came running, we grabbed spare lead and collar (always in the car) and gave chase..At that point the dog ran back across the junction and vanished..

All this time a man with a JRT had stood there watching, he didnt say a word, didnt whistle or try to help.
My daughter went with the lead and I spun the car round
then together we went up and down neighbouring streets looking for the dog and asking anyone if they had seen the dog ,,, Most people just seemed to want to talk and asked kept 'oh have you lost your dog then? how did it get away? A couple pointed in a vague direction with I think it went down there....

Not one person asked if we needed any help or if they could help in any way.

In the end we couldnt find the dog..OH went out on his bike looking and we found a policeman who radioed it through to control..
My daughter used her mobile and put a notification on our local dogs lost page saying we thought it was a young gsd and added the direction it came from and went to.
Then when I got home I checked my dash cam and there it was, not as young as I'd thought but in that fleeting glance all I saw was a scared dog running low with a very loose gait as puppies have and not very full fur ..

Now the dogs lost page is full of comments about a dog that was stolen about 50 miles away and has since been found and critic of my description with people looking at the photo and guessing the dogs age!!! Saying they dont think it is a puppy..I never said it was a pup just young...

I feel like saying well sod you, I wont bother next time... only I know I will because its not about the people its about the dog but really if people cant be helpful why do they have to chip in with useless comments?

Ive put the photo here I wont show you the film because its got my awful singing on it and then when the dog runs into traffic I say some very bad swear words....

Ive spent hours wondering about this poor dog and I hope it found its way to safety and that its owner takes steps to prevent this ever happening again that road is lethel its part of the old ring road so a major road in and out of town.,..

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	gsd.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	3862  
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2017, 10:19 AM

Re: Loose dog ( a rant)

Cass you did a great thing but I feel it may be fear kept people from helping. If I'd been there with my dogs I wouldn't have helped either because it wouldn't have helped at all to chase a distressed dog and my Betty isn't keen on other dogs so a fight might have occurred.

I've chased lost dogs myself before having a pack of people doesn't help at all. Getting ahead of the dog and encouraging it to me has always been the thing that worked.

So huge praise for you and your family you did all you could but I don't blame others standing back.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2017, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Cass you did a great thing but I feel it may be fear kept people from helping. If I'd been there with my dogs I wouldn't have helped either because it wouldn't have helped at all to chase a distressed dog and my Betty isn't keen on other dogs so a fight might have occurred.

I've chased lost dogs myself before having a pack of people doesn't help at all. Getting ahead of the dog and encouraging it to me has always been the thing that worked.

So huge praise for you and your family you did all you could but I don't blame others standing back.
Julie I do understand but this was just people who didnt even try to call or coax the dog and to be honest anything was better than letting it run into 10 lanes of fast traffic.

Then the whole discussion on the dogs lost page mad me see red.. I didnt care if it was 6 8 or 18 months old just who had lost a gsd and who was helping to look.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2017, 10:28 AM

I don't get into discussion on that forum I have posted dogs but that's it, they pull all sorts of people apart and make it a hostile environment sadly.
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2017, 10:32 AM

Well done Cass for making the effort.
I got home from work one evening to find my girlfriend in a bit of a state and telling me that Slick my greyhound was missing.
She was a little unsure how it had happened but while she was trying to explain the phone rang and it was a family that were in town and had grabbed him as he had wondered across a busy main road oblivious to the traffic and realised he was lost. They had the name and phone number from his identity disc. I was so thankful they did as lovely as Slick was he wasn't the sharpest pencil in the box.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2017, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Cass ->

Now the dogs lost page is full of comments about a dog that was stolen about 50 miles away and has since been found and critic of my description with people looking at the photo and guessing the dogs age!!! Saying they dont think it is a puppy..I never said it was a pup just young...

I feel like saying well sod you, I wont bother next time... only I know I will because its not about the people its about the dog but really if people cant be helpful why do they have to chip in with useless comments?
Because many so called animal lovers are complete crackpots. Never mind you did your best.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2017, 12:51 PM

I saw a white cat in the middle of the lane where I live. It didn't run away when cars passed it and didn't move when I shouted to it, so I went on the lane, stopped a couple of cars and just picked it up. I took it into a room in my house, gave it food and water and made posters to try and find the owner.
I put them at the primary school, the local shop and a few lamp posts around the area... with my phone number.
The following day I got a phone call from a distraught man, saying could he come and see the cat as he thought it may be his........ and it was !

The cat was totally deaf, but had a secure area of the garden where it could go out and play... unfortunately when they discovered he was missing, they noticed that something had created an escape route.... probably not the cat!

I always think that, if I hadn't gone and captured that cat, it could have been killed ...... so I understand exactly how you feel Cass!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

01-09-2017, 12:59 PM

Well done twink a lucky cat to have found you.
Cass
NL

01-09-2017, 04:11 PM

Well done Twink

Update. DD saw the dog with its owner today so it looks like the dog did find its way home ....
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2017, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Cass ->
Well done Twink

Update. DD saw the dog with its owner today so it looks like the dog did find its way home ....
Thanks for letting us know Cass. The idea of a dog wandering free on dangerous roads is something I can't think about.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top