Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2017, 02:01 PM

I am, Cargomaster!

We are off for a month taking in the whole of the mainland UK plus Ireland including three stops in Eire and one in NI.

As instructed by my Lovely Cousin, I have fixed the top bag on the roof of the car and filled it with small suitcases. Now comes the hard part. Fitting the rest of the "stuff" we are going to need for four adults inside.

My Uncle/FiL's mobility scooter and my Aunty/MiL's "wheels" have to go in first, then everything has to be packed around them in reverse order of need.
Unfortunately the scooter is needed again before we leave so having packed, some of the stuff will have to be unpacked again until the morning.

I'm going to take pics as I do each stage as I will never remember how it all fitted in once it has been unloaded at the first stop.

We've been to Eire before and loved it, so are visiting much more this time, plus Norn Iron where none of us have ever been before.

We have lots of ideas for places to visit, but any more would be most welcome.
The basics are, drive to Wales, High Speed ferry to Dublin then Eire, bottom right, bottom left, top left, each for about four/five days in holiday cottages before moving on to the Glens of Antrim in NI for our last few days.
After that we cross over to Scotland and work our way back down stopping at Gretna Green to elope (with the Outlaws and all ) then Yorkshire to visit friends and relatives, then Ironbridge on our last stop before heading back home to Zumerzet. *phew*

So, if you can think of something we should see please let us know. Two of us are relatively able bodied, and two have very restricted mobility, so not everything available will be suitable, but the Outlaws are happy to watch us or be left alone for a while as long as there is a decent tea room/café available.

Thanks for reading.

Ftuity.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2017, 02:08 PM

Re: I am, Cargomaster!

That sounds exciting Fruity, I hope you all have a lovely time.

Looking forward to seeing your holiday photos on your return
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2017, 02:13 PM

I knew you were going soon Fruity.A whole month!
I can't wait to see your pics and tales of the places you visited.
I have only been to Dublin, and I loved it.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2017, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Fruitcake ->
We are off for a month taking in the whole of the mainland UK plus Ireland including three stops in Eire and one in NI.

As instructed by my Lovely Cousin, I have fixed the top bag on the roof of the car and filled it with small suitcases. Now comes the hard part. Fitting the rest of the "stuff" we are going to need for four adults inside.

My Uncle/FiL's mobility scooter and my Aunty/MiL's "wheels" have to go in first, then everything has to be packed around them in reverse order of need.
Unfortunately the scooter is needed again before we leave so having packed, some of the stuff will have to be unpacked again until the morning.

I'm going to take pics as I do each stage as I will never remember how it all fitted in once it has been unloaded at the first stop.

We've been to Eire before and loved it, so are visiting much more this time, plus Norn Iron where none of us have ever been before.

We have lots of ideas for places to visit, but any more would be most welcome.
The basics are, drive to Wales, High Speed ferry to Dublin then Eire, bottom right, bottom left, top left, each for about four/five days in holiday cottages before moving on to the Glens of Antrim in NI for our last few days.
After that we cross over to Scotland and work our way back down stopping at Gretna Green to elope (with the Outlaws and all ) then Yorkshire to visit friends and relatives, then Ironbridge on our last stop before heading back home to Zumerzet. *phew*

So, if you can think of something we should see please let us know. Two of us are relatively able bodied, and two have very restricted mobility, so not everything available will be suitable, but the Outlaws are happy to watch us or be left alone for a while as long as there is a decent tea room/café available.

Thanks for reading.

Ftuity.

Phil matey, in Belfast the pub Fibber Magee. On Great Victoria Street is the Hotel 'The Europa'. Immediately opposite this is the pub the 'Crown'. Fibber Magee is behind the Crown down a little side street and round the corner. Good Craic!!!

In Warren Point (nr Newry) in County Down - the Whistle Down Inn.

In Belfast - The Titanic Centre.

In County Down - Nr the town of Newcastle - a place called Annalong. Up a very narrow twisty road is a place called 'Silent Valley' - there is a large Resevoir. Good scenery because you will be in the heart of the Maune Mountains.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2017, 03:41 PM

Sounds like a good trip , Ive been to Scotland , lovely people . Views to die for . Weather can be hit and miss.

Enjoy!
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2017, 04:04 PM

Lots of places in Yorkshire Fruitcake where will you be based?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2017, 04:13 PM

The Giants Causeway is a natural phenomenon worth seein if you are in the North.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2017, 04:25 PM

Hi

If you are going to Ironbridge it is worth nipping down to The Boat in Jackfield, near the China Museum.

Stunning view, right next to the river.
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2017, 05:26 PM

Thanks for the ideas. Some we already have flagged, but a few new ones there to look into.

Due to family dietry requirements, and I have a daily total fluid limit of 2 litres, we probably won't be doing many pubs, more is the pity. But thanks for taking the time to tell me about them.

We haven't had a decent family holiday for quite a while due to a whole raft of medical problems, liberally spread around the family members, so we are all really looking forward to it.

Previously we had spent many years visiting the Americas but now two of us can't fly at all, and two of us would now have prohibitively expensive travel insurance with regards to flying, so we have had to find suitable alternatives. A gert big road trip (with a couple of ferries) fills all the requirements though without too many problems.

I love taking photos, and have just bought a new camera as I hope at least two of us will be going whale/dolphin watching. I shall most certainly do a picky thread if the regulars here have no objection.

Thank you all for your replies.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2017, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Fruitcake ->
Thanks for the ideas. Some we already have flagged, but a few new ones there to look into.

Due to dietry requirements and I have a daily fluid limit, we probably won't be doing many pubs, more is the pity. But thanks for taking the time to tell me about them.

We haven't had a decent family holiday for quite a while due to a whole raft of medical problems, liberally spread around the family members, so we are all really looking forward to it.

Previously we had spent many years visiting the Americas but now two of us can't fly at all, and two of us would now have prohibitively expensive travel insurance with regards to flying, so we have had to find suitable alternatives. A gert big road trip (with a couple of ferries) fills all the requirements though without too many problems.

I love taking photos, and have just bought a new camera as I hope at least two of us will be going whale/dolphin watching. I shall most certainly do a picky thread if the regulars here have no objection.

Thank you all for your replies.

Of course we don't mind Phil matey. Go check out the photos I put up on my profile page of my holidays around the Med.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top