Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2017, 09:53 PM

Re: Davis says he now has health-care agreement post Brexit

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
You seem to forget that the greater majority of retired people who live abroad within the EU have no doubt paid for their national health throughout their working life in the UK, and surely they should be entitled to what they have paid for.
My husband and I also paid into the NHS but when we took the decsion to stay in NL we also took on the responsibilties.

I have no objection to people getting what they are entitled to but if they paid into British NHS then thats what they should get ..in the uk..

I see its different when a foreign person seeks health care in the UK, then they are spongers and should be packed off back to their own country PDQ but the respectable retired British person? oh goodness no, they must be treated because they paid in back home dont you know.....

A touch of Imperialism kicking in there...
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2017, 04:36 PM

I agree with you Cass. If someone has taken the decision to spend their lives in another EU country, then they should abide by the health, tax and pension laws of the country they have chosen. They know full well they would be entitled to what they have paid into all their working lives, but for that, they should reside here in order to gain those services.

I agree though that for those taking holidays in Europe, the EU card should be allowed to continue. I just wish our Hospital Trusts and yes, the doctors themselves, didn't have this attitude that it is beneath them to charge those who should not be entitled to free treatment.

But, there you are. That's the way things are, and until we get a government with the ball's to actually do something about our NHS, they will always be standing with the begging bowl because it's easier and a lot less hassle.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2017, 04:42 PM

I have to say I think I agree with both of you its not that people can't get what they paid for but they need to live here to access it. Especially as there is no real pot to pay into the money has long gone.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2017, 04:55 PM

We have reciprocal agreements so we tell other countries how much they owe us and they tell us what we owe them. Patients should only be charged for services not included under the agreement. So in some countries you might pay for a gp visit. We just don't have great systems here. But it's not about asking visitors to pay up, its about clawing back from their home country as part of the agreement. It's not just the eu we have these agreements with. So if you end up in hospital in say Australia you should not have to pay.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2017, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
Good news for many ex pats, and no doubt for UK too, it means the ex pats won't all be rushing back to put more strain on the NHS.

www.theleader.info
I'm afraid I cannot find anything pertaining to this on that link.

Could you clarify, then, whether the agreement will be reciprocal? Will UK citizens living in the EU receive the same healthcare provisions as EU citizens living in the UK?

That would be the fairest arrangement, of course, although I wouldn't expect fairness from the EU.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top